Re: [Authentic_SCA] Greetings, introduction and request

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2009
      At 04:22 PM 6/16/2009, Dubdarach macLongaidh wrote:
      >Greetings from another inhabitant of
      >early-period Ireland. I don't think I've
      >posted here before, so introductions are in order.
      >
      ><snip>
      >
      >The first thing I'll say about early-period
      >Ireland is, it's not for those who are afraid of
      >putting together puzzles. Early Ireland is
      >probably among the least-well excavated places
      >in western Europe. That said, there is
      >information out there, you're just not going to
      >find piles of it like you would for, say, Anglo-Saxon England.
      ><snip>

      Well actually, the problem is not so much the
      excavations, but funding for the reports...

      In addition to bits and pieces from archaeology
      reports and a few primary sources, I would also
      mention several other resources:

      Wincott Heckett, Elizabeth. Viking Age
      Headcoverings from Dublin. Dublin: Royal Irish
      Academy, 2003. ISBN: 0954385551 9780954385552 OCLC: 55214944

      The PhD dissertation:
      Fitzgerald, Maria Amelia. Textile production in
      prehistoric and early medieval Ireland.
      (Manchester Metropolitan University, 2000.) DXN039210 BLDSC ethos 326250
      is finally available for free download. The EThOS
      homepage is http://ethos.bl.uk/Home.do
      It could of used a more thorough proofreading,
      but is worth the read. It is also particularly
      useful for it's discussion of law resources for costume.

      Fitzgerald also did a MA thesis on Irish costume,
      but I have been unable to acquire it as yet.

      Regards,
      Beth Matney