Dovetails

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2009
      I am interested in locating some details
      (including images) as to the construction of the
      St. Paulinus (died 358AD) Trèves (transferred
      395AD) coffin "joined by means of dovetailing".
      As the wood is described as 'cedar', there is
      some question as to where the coffin was made.

      From page 219,
      Battiscombe, C. F. The Relics of Saint Cuthbert; Studies by Various
      Authors. Oxford: Printed for the Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral
      at the University Press, 1956. OCLC 4071903
      http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/4071903

      footnotes 10/11 refer to detailed accounts of the
      coffin in Bonner Jahrbücher vol. lxxvii, 1884,
      pp. 238 ff; vol. lxxviii, 1884 pp. 173

      Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Bonn, and Rhine
      Province (Germany). Bonner Jahrbücher. 1842.
      ISSN:0067-9976 OCLC Number: 3459165 or OCLC
      Number: 213803943 microfilm, OCLC Number: 297237884 eJournal

      If anyone has seen the coffin or the journal
      articles referenced above (or preferably a more
      recent analysis in English), please post the
      information. It would be most appreciated,

      Thank you.
      Beth Matney