Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Garden gates

  • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
      > Hello Thanks Karen
      > That's the one, http://larsdatter.com/gardens.htm has some
      > interesting pictures, I'm keen to try out a few of the different
      > fence styles and some of the exedras (raised turf
      > benches)especially the wooden fronted ones. I hadn't noticed
      > that there were so many openings without gates!

      Thanks for this site.

      The thing I find fascinating is the degree to which multilevel gardening seems to be used. I see a lot of "turf benches" and other "plantable walls", true, but a LOT of raised bed gardening.
      In fact, raised beds (in some cases multileveled beds), bordered with timber or stone seems more the norm than the exception.

      Another thing I see a lot of is the use of espalier fences for division.
      Fencing seems to be lightly constructed, and used to trellis plants on
      Walls when they are used are heavy stone walls for privacy.
      I also see really tight picket fences, but they are peripheral when used at all, and I wonder if these arent animal fences (to keep out rabbits and dogs) as they seem to bused when bordering woods.

      Capt Elias

    • Labhaoise O'Beachain
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
        That was my thought exactly, there is clearly a style to the right. Today, we think of "opening" a gate to pass through and tend to forget there are other ways. (cattle gates for example). I would think the simplest solution would often be the answer.

        Put in a style for getting from one side to the other, and a well made panel which could be lifted out of the way, or simply laid down, depending on what you needed to get through.
        Labhaoise

        "creatureofironbog" <ka.hanson@...> wrote:

        > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "vombatus1" <timmykane@> wrote:
        > In looking at that particular gate, I have to
        > wonder: are we certain that there *were* hinges,
        > at all? It seems to me that a more rustic fence
        > such as this might simply have a (re)moveable panel,
        > rather than a 'swinging' gate.
      • creatureofironbog
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "vombatus1" <timmykane@...> wrote:

          > I am on Facebook, I've heard about the Luttrell Psalter film but haven't seen it yet, it sounds really interesting. I'm on Face book as Tim Kane,
          > Cheers
          > Tim

          As there are over SEVENTEEN pages of Tim Kanes
          on Facebook (!!!)....here is the link to the
          Luttrell Psalter group, for you and any others
          here who have access:

          http://snipurl.com/jb4vj

          There is a clip that was posted on January 20th,
          which starts off with a woven fence/wall. If you
          hit Pause at about the 0.31 second mark, you can
          see what appears to be a vine or rope hinge on
          that wall. Best seen if you watch in large screen!

          And I highly recommend the film itself.

          ~Creature~
        • balanttina
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2009
            hello!

            do you remember me? the girl that wanted to tackle the medieval pilgrimage route more or less medieval style? well, I am still on it and leaving in two short days! I intend to write a blog as often as possibe. you are welcome to read it!

            http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/

            take care!

            celestina
          • Marianne Perdomo
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
              Best of luck! Hope it proves enjoyable and interesting - I'll try to
              remember looking at the blog :)

              2009/6/7 balanttina <balanttina@...>

              > hello!
              >
              > do you remember me? the girl that wanted to tackle the medieval pilgrimage
              > route more or less medieval style? well, I am still on it and leaving in two
              > short days! I intend to write a blog as often as possibe. you are welcome to
              > read it!
              >
              > http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/
              >
              > take care!
              >
              > celestina

            • Sarah Natividad
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 9, 2009
                > http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/

                If I may, could I request that you add an RSS feed to your blog? I follow blogs using Bloglines; with an RSS feed I'll never miss a post.

                Obrigada,
                Lianor
              • Greg Lindahl
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 9, 2009
                  On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 01:55:14PM -0000, Sarah Natividad wrote:

                  > > http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/
                  >
                  > If I may, could I request that you add an RSS feed to your blog? I follow blogs using Bloglines; with an RSS feed I'll never miss a post.

                  There's an RSS feed at the bottom right -- well hidden.

                  -- Gregory
                • Sarah Natividad
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 9, 2009
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Greg Lindahl <lindahl@...> wrote:

                    > There's an RSS feed at the bottom right -- well hidden.

                    Well spotted! Thank you. I think I need to clean my glasses. I've got smudges bigger than the RSS icon. ;)

                    Obrigada,
                    Lianor