Re: Garden gates

  • vombatus1
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
      (Moderator note: Please sign all posts to this list. Thank you, Despina)

      Hello Thanks Karen
      That's the one, http://larsdatter.com/gardens.htm has some interesting pictures, I'm keen to try out a few of the different fence styles and some of the exedras (raised turf benches)especially the wooden fronted ones. I hadn't noticed that there were so many openings without gates!
    • vombatus1
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2009
        -
        Thanks for the Links.
        it's an interesting piece of fence in the picture there are three things going on, one is a simple picket fence, the other seems to be a series of 3 horizontal rails which are set lower than the sections of fence on either side and there appears to be a small stump. To me this looks like a stile. The other section, on the left hand side has taller palings/verticals and a diagonal. It's the diagonal which makes me think it's a gate, but with the stile it could be just another section of fence. There's another gate on the right hand side below the castle but this is even harder to discern any details of.
        I'd never thought of the gate being a removeable panel, certainly possible, may explain the lack of apparent gates in other garden images.
        I think I've heard of leather hinges before, not sure where though, could be an option, I'll definitely look into it.
        I am on Facebook, I've heard about the Luttrell Psalter film but haven't seen it yet, it sounds really interesting. I'm on Face book as Tim Kane,
        Cheers
        Tim

      • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
          > In looking at that particular gate, I have to
          > wonder: are we certain that there *were* hinges,
          > at all? It seems to me that a more rustic fence
          > such as this might simply have a (re)moveable panel,
          > rather than a 'swinging' gate.

          Having made several gates in the past, I will offer this much:
          There is a diagonal crossbrace from the upper left to the lower right of the gate.
          This is not needed if the panel did not hang from the left in some manner.
          So from my experience, it is much more likely to be a swinging gate than otherwise.

          > Not in our Period, but I recall reading in the
          > "Little House" books that Mr. Ingalls made leather
          > hinges, as they could not afford metal 'boughten'
          > hinges.

          Now as to what sort of hinge...
          It could be anything, as you say, even simply be some leather nailed on to both post and the left (vertical) stile of the gate (which, you will note, is clearly higher than the right side, owing to the need to anchor the top of the diagonal brace.)
          More likely, though, the hinge was made by binding the gate with withies or rope through bored holes.
          leather, cordage or withy, they would probably have not have been greased or waxed (a common method of preserving them against rot) to prevent rodents from eating the withies.

          Withies would be cheap to replace from locally available plants.
          Likely it was just some twisted roots or bark pulled up from local shrubs.

          Prior to the 16th century iron hinges were expensive and prior to the 11th century modern pin and loop iron hinges were largely unknown, so leather or cordage as a "common" hinge is very much more likely in such a rustic setting.

          The closure was also likely a simple loop of cordage.

          > http://snipurl.com/j8l07

          really Pivot hinges or any sort of metal hinge would not be used in such a setting.
          They would have been expensive, and quite likely to have been "lifted" and used by soem commoner in making his own door more secure.

        • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
            > Hello Thanks Karen
            > That's the one, http://larsdatter.com/gardens.htm has some
            > interesting pictures, I'm keen to try out a few of the different
            > fence styles and some of the exedras (raised turf
            > benches)especially the wooden fronted ones. I hadn't noticed
            > that there were so many openings without gates!

            Thanks for this site.

            The thing I find fascinating is the degree to which multilevel gardening seems to be used. I see a lot of "turf benches" and other "plantable walls", true, but a LOT of raised bed gardening.
            In fact, raised beds (in some cases multileveled beds), bordered with timber or stone seems more the norm than the exception.

            Another thing I see a lot of is the use of espalier fences for division.
            Fencing seems to be lightly constructed, and used to trellis plants on
            Walls when they are used are heavy stone walls for privacy.
            I also see really tight picket fences, but they are peripheral when used at all, and I wonder if these arent animal fences (to keep out rabbits and dogs) as they seem to bused when bordering woods.

            Capt Elias

          • Labhaoise O'Beachain
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
              That was my thought exactly, there is clearly a style to the right. Today, we think of "opening" a gate to pass through and tend to forget there are other ways. (cattle gates for example). I would think the simplest solution would often be the answer.

              Put in a style for getting from one side to the other, and a well made panel which could be lifted out of the way, or simply laid down, depending on what you needed to get through.
              Labhaoise

              "creatureofironbog" <ka.hanson@...> wrote:

              > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "vombatus1" <timmykane@> wrote:
              > In looking at that particular gate, I have to
              > wonder: are we certain that there *were* hinges,
              > at all? It seems to me that a more rustic fence
              > such as this might simply have a (re)moveable panel,
              > rather than a 'swinging' gate.
            • creatureofironbog
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2, 2009
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "vombatus1" <timmykane@...> wrote:

                > I am on Facebook, I've heard about the Luttrell Psalter film but haven't seen it yet, it sounds really interesting. I'm on Face book as Tim Kane,
                > Cheers
                > Tim

                As there are over SEVENTEEN pages of Tim Kanes
                on Facebook (!!!)....here is the link to the
                Luttrell Psalter group, for you and any others
                here who have access:

                http://snipurl.com/jb4vj

                There is a clip that was posted on January 20th,
                which starts off with a woven fence/wall. If you
                hit Pause at about the 0.31 second mark, you can
                see what appears to be a vine or rope hinge on
                that wall. Best seen if you watch in large screen!

                And I highly recommend the film itself.

                ~Creature~
              • balanttina
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 7, 2009
                  hello!

                  do you remember me? the girl that wanted to tackle the medieval pilgrimage route more or less medieval style? well, I am still on it and leaving in two short days! I intend to write a blog as often as possibe. you are welcome to read it!

                  http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/

                  take care!

                  celestina
                • Marianne Perdomo
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 8, 2009
                    Best of luck! Hope it proves enjoyable and interesting - I'll try to
                    remember looking at the blog :)

                    2009/6/7 balanttina <balanttina@...>

                    > hello!
                    >
                    > do you remember me? the girl that wanted to tackle the medieval pilgrimage
                    > route more or less medieval style? well, I am still on it and leaving in two
                    > short days! I intend to write a blog as often as possibe. you are welcome to
                    > read it!
                    >
                    > http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/
                    >
                    > take care!
                    >
                    > celestina

                  • Sarah Natividad
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 9, 2009
                      > http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/

                      If I may, could I request that you add an RSS feed to your blog? I follow blogs using Bloglines; with an RSS feed I'll never miss a post.

                      Obrigada,
                      Lianor
                    • Greg Lindahl
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 9, 2009
                        On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 01:55:14PM -0000, Sarah Natividad wrote:

                        > > http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/
                        >
                        > If I may, could I request that you add an RSS feed to your blog? I follow blogs using Bloglines; with an RSS feed I'll never miss a post.

                        There's an RSS feed at the bottom right -- well hidden.

                        -- Gregory
                      • Sarah Natividad
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 9, 2009
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Greg Lindahl <lindahl@...> wrote:

                          > There's an RSS feed at the bottom right -- well hidden.

                          Well spotted! Thank you. I think I need to clean my glasses. I've got smudges bigger than the RSS icon. ;)

                          Obrigada,
                          Lianor