Re: [Authentic_SCA] Making an Elizabethan Arming Jacket

  • Carmen Beaudry
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
      Third and last.
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Richard of Essex" <RichardofEssex@...>
      To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:00 AM
      Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Making an Elizabethan Arming Jacket

      > could you send me the pics you do have?
      >
      > On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Carmen Beaudry
      > <moreplentyn@...> wrote:
      >>

      >>> Another possible source: Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion. There are
      >>> excellent close-ups of quilted leather Elizabethan doublets, one of them
      >>> the
      >>> fencing doublet in the Met.
      >>>
      >>> Sarah Davies.
      >>
      >> I have some pictures of that doublet that were taken at the Met. I
      >> looked,
      >> and they don't seem to have any pictures of it up on their website.
      >>
      >> Melusine
      >>

      > --
      > Richard of Essex
      > Captain, Lance of Saint George

    • Richard of Essex
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
        Please trim posts to the list - Despina de la Moderator

        ok you might have to send them to me off list because I didnt see anything. :)

        On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Carmen Beaudry
        <moreplentyn@...> wrote:

        > I'll try them in batches of three. Let me know if you get them ok.
        >
        > Melusine
      • Kathryn Ballard
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
          BTW No pictures came through on my end.

          Kathryn

        • Michael Hurley
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 24, 2009
            On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Carmen Beaudry wrote:

            > I have some pictures of that doublet that were taken at the Met. I
            > looked,
            > and they don't seem to have any pictures of it up on their website.

            I would also be interested in those photos if you're willing to share
            them with more people. I've been thinking about making a jack for
            fencing one of these days. Thanks!
            --
            Auf wiedersehen!
            Michael

            "..No."

            -Real Genius
          • janmar0003
            Message 5 of 13 , May 18, 2009
              While not technically an arming jacket, I did note here a reference to jaks of plaite. I have recently completed a jak of plaite (such as those used by the Scottish Border Reivers, circa 1580). While this particular item will be used for heavy fighting, I believe that, less plated, it would be suitable for fencing. I did test pieces for plating patterns, materials, quantity of padding; and documented every step photographically and in (as yet, draft) written form. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
              Your humble servant and friend,
              Ansteys Darcy