Re: [Authentic_SCA] Making an Elizabethan Arming Jacket

  • Carmen Beaudry
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
      > Another possible source: Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion. There are
      > excellent close-ups of quilted leather Elizabethan doublets, one of them
      > the
      > fencing doublet in the Met.
      >
      > Sarah Davies.

      I have some pictures of that doublet that were taken at the Met. I looked,
      and they don't seem to have any pictures of it up on their website.

      Melusine
    • Richard of Essex
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
        could you send me the pics you do have?

        --
        Richard of Essex
        Captain, Lance of Saint George
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
          I'll try them in batches of three. Let me know if you get them ok.

          Melusine

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
            Second message.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
              Third and last.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
                Please trim posts to the list - Despina de la Moderator

                ok you might have to send them to me off list because I didnt see anything. :)

                On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Carmen Beaudry
                <moreplentyn@...> wrote:

                > I'll try them in batches of three. Let me know if you get them ok.
                >
                > Melusine
              • Kathryn Ballard
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
                  BTW No pictures came through on my end.

                  Kathryn

                • Michael Hurley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 24, 2009
                    On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Carmen Beaudry wrote:

                    > I have some pictures of that doublet that were taken at the Met. I
                    > looked,
                    > and they don't seem to have any pictures of it up on their website.

                    I would also be interested in those photos if you're willing to share
                    them with more people. I've been thinking about making a jack for
                    fencing one of these days. Thanks!
                    --
                    Auf wiedersehen!
                    Michael

                    "..No."

                    -Real Genius
                  • janmar0003
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 18 10:35 PM
                      While not technically an arming jacket, I did note here a reference to jaks of plaite. I have recently completed a jak of plaite (such as those used by the Scottish Border Reivers, circa 1580). While this particular item will be used for heavy fighting, I believe that, less plated, it would be suitable for fencing. I did test pieces for plating patterns, materials, quantity of padding; and documented every step photographically and in (as yet, draft) written form. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
                      Your humble servant and friend,
                      Ansteys Darcy