Re: [Authentic_SCA] Making an Elizabethan Arming Jacket

  • kittencat3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
      Another possible source: Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion. There are
      excellent close-ups of quilted leather Elizabethan doublets, one of them the
      fencing doublet in the Met.

      Sarah Davies.
      steps!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221621490x1201450102/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26
      hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilfooter421NO62)

    • Carmen Beaudry
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
        > Another possible source: Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion. There are
        > excellent close-ups of quilted leather Elizabethan doublets, one of them
        > the
        > fencing doublet in the Met.
        >
        > Sarah Davies.

        I have some pictures of that doublet that were taken at the Met. I looked,
        and they don't seem to have any pictures of it up on their website.

        Melusine
      • Richard of Essex
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
          could you send me the pics you do have?

          --
          Richard of Essex
          Captain, Lance of Saint George
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
            I'll try them in batches of three. Let me know if you get them ok.

            Melusine

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
              Second message.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
                Third and last.

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
                  Please trim posts to the list - Despina de la Moderator

                  ok you might have to send them to me off list because I didnt see anything. :)

                  On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Carmen Beaudry
                  <moreplentyn@...> wrote:

                  > I'll try them in batches of three. Let me know if you get them ok.
                  >
                  > Melusine
                • Kathryn Ballard
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
                    BTW No pictures came through on my end.

                    Kathryn

                  • Michael Hurley
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 24, 2009
                      On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Carmen Beaudry wrote:

                      > I have some pictures of that doublet that were taken at the Met. I
                      > looked,
                      > and they don't seem to have any pictures of it up on their website.

                      I would also be interested in those photos if you're willing to share
                      them with more people. I've been thinking about making a jack for
                      fencing one of these days. Thanks!
                      --
                      Auf wiedersehen!
                      Michael

                      "..No."

                      -Real Genius
                    • janmar0003
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 18, 2009
                        While not technically an arming jacket, I did note here a reference to jaks of plaite. I have recently completed a jak of plaite (such as those used by the Scottish Border Reivers, circa 1580). While this particular item will be used for heavy fighting, I believe that, less plated, it would be suitable for fencing. I did test pieces for plating patterns, materials, quantity of padding; and documented every step photographically and in (as yet, draft) written form. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
                        Your humble servant and friend,
                        Ansteys Darcy