Re: [Authentic_SCA] Making an Elizabethan Arming Jacket

  • Richard of Essex
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 20, 2009
      MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive their listmail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Please be sure to snip any text from the previous message which does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

      MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED:

      On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:00 AM, <lilinah@...> wrote:

      > I haven't, but there's a Compleat Anachronist that might be helpful...
      >
      > CA0126 (Winter 2005)
      > Good Jakkes of Defense: The historical development and construction of a
      > Jack of Plate

      I will have to see if I can find a copy then, thanks.

      Richard of Essex
      Captain, Lance of Saint George
    • kittencat3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
        Another possible source: Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion. There are
        excellent close-ups of quilted leather Elizabethan doublets, one of them the
        fencing doublet in the Met.

        Sarah Davies.
        steps!
        (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221621490x1201450102/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26
        hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilfooter421NO62)

      • Carmen Beaudry
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
          > Another possible source: Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion. There are
          > excellent close-ups of quilted leather Elizabethan doublets, one of them
          > the
          > fencing doublet in the Met.
          >
          > Sarah Davies.

          I have some pictures of that doublet that were taken at the Met. I looked,
          and they don't seem to have any pictures of it up on their website.

          Melusine
        • Richard of Essex
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
            could you send me the pics you do have?

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
              I'll try them in batches of three. Let me know if you get them ok.

              Melusine

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
                Second message.

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
                  Third and last.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
                    Please trim posts to the list - Despina de la Moderator

                    ok you might have to send them to me off list because I didnt see anything. :)

                    On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Carmen Beaudry
                    <moreplentyn@...> wrote:

                    > I'll try them in batches of three. Let me know if you get them ok.
                    >
                    > Melusine
                  • Kathryn Ballard
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 21, 2009
                      BTW No pictures came through on my end.

                      Kathryn

                    • Michael Hurley
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 24, 2009
                        On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Carmen Beaudry wrote:

                        > I have some pictures of that doublet that were taken at the Met. I
                        > looked,
                        > and they don't seem to have any pictures of it up on their website.

                        I would also be interested in those photos if you're willing to share
                        them with more people. I've been thinking about making a jack for
                        fencing one of these days. Thanks!
                        --
                        Auf wiedersehen!
                        Michael

                        "..No."

                        -Real Genius
                      • janmar0003
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 18, 2009
                          While not technically an arming jacket, I did note here a reference to jaks of plaite. I have recently completed a jak of plaite (such as those used by the Scottish Border Reivers, circa 1580). While this particular item will be used for heavy fighting, I believe that, less plated, it would be suitable for fencing. I did test pieces for plating patterns, materials, quantity of padding; and documented every step photographically and in (as yet, draft) written form. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
                          Your humble servant and friend,
                          Ansteys Darcy