Emulating a Venetian palace.

  • Woodrow Hill
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2009
      Been a VERY long time since I posted. Please forgive the cross-post, but I especially wanted to get the feedback of this group.

      I'm leading a team to do design and build work for an event that will, in decoration and look, do a "best-effort" to emulate the Doge's Palace in Venice:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doge%27s_Palace

      We have a number of ideas, but could use more design concepts, esp. from gentles who've done re-creations of palaces and the like for events, or people who know a good bit about Venetian (or related!) architecture that we can ask questions of. Obviously, this would be a low-cost effort.

      If you have advice, feel free to comment, or email me at asim@.... Also feel free to forward, or let me know of anyone I might speak with on this. General questions are also welcome.

      Thanks for reading,

      ----Master Asim al-Talib, OL
    • Jasta
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 17, 2009
        Good day Master Asim,

        I would recommend as a starting point perhaps doing some wall hangings along
        the lines of "floor-cloth" type things? If there are windows at the site,
        someone could perhaps paint canvas representations of what might be seen out
        the Doge's windows, and those could be hung up with simulated draperies
        framing them?

        And perhaps some large blocks of styrofoam could be carved into statues,
        then spray-painted with those speckled paints made to simulate rock? IIRC,
        that's what they did in Lord of the Rings movies to create the statuary and
        some of the pillars, etc. on the Imladris and Lorien sets... Maybe put some
        fountains (small ones) in various places? When I think Venice I think
        water, if there's a way to build that into the decor it would be so
        wonderful!

        It sounds like a potentially VERY nice event! Where are you located, and
        how much lead-time do you have? There might be some neat ideas in the
        backgrounds of period paintings that would give you some hall-decorating
        ideas. :)

        Best of fortune with it--may we beg for pics to be posted in the aftermath?

        in Service,
        Meli
        Atlantia