Re: Leather hosen?

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
      What of making/getting him a pair of thigh high riding boots to wear over his hosen?

      Brian
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 14, 2009
        How long are his tunics? If the tunics are below the knee, that will do a
        lot to help protect the knees of his hosen.

        -Katherine

      • Tom Apple
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Natividad <sarah.natividad@...> wrote:
          >> I want to make my son some hosen. However, this is a child with a horrible reputation for tearing out the knees of his pants. <<<

          Perhaps when you make the hose you could sew a reinforcing patch inside the knee area so when the outer layer of fabric is worn through, the patch is already there.

          Also I find hose are a good place to use wool blends. An 85/15% wool/nylon blend will last much longer than 100% wool. That little bit of nylon will toughen up the hose quite a bit without being noticeably too synthetic.

          The Woolrich wools make great hose.

          Another option is for him to wear country boots. These are basically sleeves of cloth that cover the lower leg, tied off below or above the knee and at the ankle. In period artwork, you'll peasants wearing these while working in the fields. I'm guessing it would preserve the hose from wear and tear and keep the lower legs warmer.

          You can see examples in the painting "Labors of the Twelve Months" from the Manuscript of Crescenzi li Rustican, circa 1460.

          Cheers,

          Tom A.

          The Hussite Kompagnie
          http://www.hussite.org/