RE: [Authentic_SCA] Leather hosen?

  • Derek Estabrook
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 12, 2009
      Moderator note: Please sign all messages to this list. Thank you. Despina de la moderator

      I would say leather knee patchwork would be the most appropriate for a child to have. All leather hosen are not likely as I have seen no evidence of leather being a material for these (depending on the culture leather had certain functions and using it for items such as cloaks, etc. was often considered uncivilized). Ladies stockings are not the same as medieval hosen.

    • Mathilde Adycote
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
        Hi there,

        As the mother of three sons who grew up in the SCA I'd suggest leaving him in T-tunics for the play clothes or putting him in mundane tights and just replacing them. You could also make hosen from cotton lycra (cheap and very robust).

        For court gear I'd make woollen hose. There's no reason that they need to be as tight fitting as adult hose (you don't say how old your lad is) and if you're quick you can whip them off before he heads outside or slides across the floor on his knees.

        Have a look at the Breugal paintings to see just how many different ways a child can be dressed (or not). It's also good to note that bare legs are period!! I can't tell you how many pairs of pants/hose THAT saved me.

        good luck!
        Mathilde

      • Brian
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
          What of making/getting him a pair of thigh high riding boots to wear over his hosen?

          Brian
        • Katherine Throckmorton
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 14, 2009
            How long are his tunics? If the tunics are below the knee, that will do a
            lot to help protect the knees of his hosen.

            -Katherine

          • Tom Apple
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Natividad <sarah.natividad@...> wrote:
              >> I want to make my son some hosen. However, this is a child with a horrible reputation for tearing out the knees of his pants. <<<

              Perhaps when you make the hose you could sew a reinforcing patch inside the knee area so when the outer layer of fabric is worn through, the patch is already there.

              Also I find hose are a good place to use wool blends. An 85/15% wool/nylon blend will last much longer than 100% wool. That little bit of nylon will toughen up the hose quite a bit without being noticeably too synthetic.

              The Woolrich wools make great hose.

              Another option is for him to wear country boots. These are basically sleeves of cloth that cover the lower leg, tied off below or above the knee and at the ankle. In period artwork, you'll peasants wearing these while working in the fields. I'm guessing it would preserve the hose from wear and tear and keep the lower legs warmer.

              You can see examples in the painting "Labors of the Twelve Months" from the Manuscript of Crescenzi li Rustican, circa 1460.

              Cheers,

              Tom A.

              The Hussite Kompagnie
              http://www.hussite.org/