Re: [Authentic_SCA] initials? hose seams and finishes

  • Mary Llewellyn
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2009
      On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Marianne Perdomo
      <marianne@...> wrote:

      > Also, I've been wondering whether something like embroidered initials on all
      > kinds of clothing were ever done. Any hints for/against there?
      >
      > Any suggestions appreciated!

      One specific mention of initials in period occurs in Taming of the
      Shrew, where the initials are not on clothing, but on horse tack. As
      part of the outlandish rig in which Petruchio comes to marry Kate, the
      servant Biondello describes the world's most decrepit and broken-down
      horse, wearing an equally disreputable saddle, presumably for
      Petruchio, and something marginally better for Petruchio's new
      bride:"...a woman's crupper, of velure, which hath two letters for her
      name fairly set in studs, and here and there piec'd with packthread."
      [Taming of the Shrew, III.ii]

      Hope this helps, or is at least interesting. ;-)
      Mary