Re:clothing purchases

  • Ellyne MacCruimmen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2009
      In regards to clothing fitting a less afluent personna, there was always a brisk market in used clothing and clothing was often passed on to retainers in lieu of cash.� So it would be possible to have items beyond ones regular means in this way.
      Ellyne in An Tir

    • nerdgirl
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2009
        > In regards to clothing fitting a less afluent personna, there was always
        > brisk market in used clothing
        It really depends on the used clothing market I know in late 16th century
        when it was popular to wear the heights of fashion and lace being forbidden
        before that thanks to sumptary laws It was really the height of the used
        clothing trade. Look at the Cryers of London. One of the best dressed
        people was the used clothing seller because she probably dipped into her
        own stash. Some periods clothing was worn and worn and even passed on in
        wills doesn't seem to be a big trade.
        Lady Magdalena auf KDT
      • Britt
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2009
          I know in late 16th century
          > when it was popular to wear
          Sorry for the mistake that was supposed to be late 17th century adn I
          think the lack of lace was all due to Oliver Cromwell.
          Lady Magdalena auf KDT

        • Marianne Perdomo
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2009
            I would say that up to certain point, yes... But remember that many items
            could be cut off and re-used. I'd say that's probably the case with things
            like fur, embroidered bands and other trimmings, really expensive fabrics
            like velvet and fancy brocades... So I doubt that re-use can be a excuse for
            all items... In addition people might do things like give the 10 yards of
            velvet from their super dress to the Church...

            Spending beyond your means and beyond what is considered appropriate is
            documented in many times and places, though. ;)

            Just things from what I've read and stuff. Probably not applicable to all.

            Leonor