Re: [Authentic_SCA] "Speaking foresoothly" at SCA events - another good reference book

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2009
      On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Brad Moore <mamluk@...> wrote:
      > Andrea,
      >
      > I think its interesting when one chooses to interject words or exclamations
      > from the language of one's persona into their speech. I have heard the use
      > of alternate titles which are culturally specific, or of phrases (Mon Dieu!,
      > etc.) which set you apart culturally, but don't prevent your ability to
      > communicate clearly. I know nothing of Welsh, but I'm sure there are sources
      > available that could lead you in the right direction.

      To add a modern example of how this can be done, take a look at
      Hercule Poirot. The Agatha Christie's detective throws in occasional
      French interjections, or even entire sentences, but generally speaks
      English. I try to do a similar thing with Japanese, and it is
      probably how my 16th century English turns out when I try it.

      -Ii/E.