The Paston Letters

  • GJ
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2009
      The Paston Letters can be found here:
      http://www.luminarium.org/medlit/pastontext.htm

      Lady Margaret Sayher
    • balanttina
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 2009
        hello!

        I was wondering, is there any evidence for hoods made from leather in
        the middle ages (preferably 15th century)? I had no luck so far.

        take care!

        celestina
      • Folo Watkins
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2009
          >I was wondering, is there any evidence for hoods made from leather in
          >the middle ages (preferably 15th century)? I had no luck so far.

          There is one from the late iron age in the Danish National Museum
          (with a cloak; I think I can dig up a photo if interested), although
          by the time of the Viking Age leather was not apparently used for
          that purpose. Although I have not seen it in later periods, I'm not a
          student of those ages. I'm sorry.

          Cheers, Folo
          www.micelfolcland.org
        • balanttina
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 21, 2009
            hello!

            naa, I'm afraid bronze age is a little too far back to be a reliable
            proof. :o) thanks anyway!

            take care, celestina
          • Tom Apple
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 21, 2009
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "balanttina" <balanttina@...> wrote:
              > I was wondering, is there any evidence for hoods made from leather in
              > the middle ages (preferably 15th century)? I had no luck so far.

              Marc Carlson has reference to one on his excellent website, though
              it's 13th c.

              1204 English Medieval Knight 1200-1300, (Warrior #48), Osprey
              Publishing, p. 20.
              In 1204, for example, King John spent....He also knighted one of his
              valets, Thomas Esturmi, that same year but spent only £6 10s on the
              latter's robes: 'A scarlet robe and a hood of deerskin.".

              http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/leather.html

              Regards,

              Tom A.
            • Kathleen Keeler
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 21, 2009
                I researched costs in England in about 1200 for a class at Estrella.
                The livings given priests in England about 1200 ranged from a low of
                about £5 a year (many) up to really great ones at £15-20 (only one or
                two on record). The cost of living frugally in Paris for a year
                studying (in what would become the University of Paris) was likewise
                estimated about £6 a year (books extra) or equal to the annual income of
                a skilled laborer (tho not a master craftsman).
                King John may have spent more on other knightings, but the £6 10s
                for Thomas' 'a scarlet robe and a hood of deerskin." would have
                impressed most people. As a rough estimate, £6 10s had the buying power
                of $30,000.
                That's mindboggling but not unreasonable. Cloth was handspun and
                handwoven and so always in short supply. A wool robe probably cost the
                equivalent of a used car, and this one is scarlet. I know less about
                the value of leatherwork.
                Agnes

                > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:Authentic_SCA%40yahoogroups.com>, "balanttina"
                > <balanttina@...> wrote:
                > > I was wondering, is there any evidence for hoods made from leather in
                > > the middle ages (preferably 15th century)? I had no luck so far.
                >
                > Marc Carlson has reference to one on his excellent website, though
                > it's 13th c.
                >
                > 1204 English Medieval Knight 1200-1300, (Warrior #48), Osprey
                > Publishing, p. 20.
                > In 1204, for example, King John spent....He also knighted one of his
                > valets, Thomas Esturmi, that same year but spent only £6 10s on the
                > latter's robes: 'A scarlet robe and a hood of deerskin.".
                >
                > http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/leather.html
                > <http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/%7Emarc-carlson/cloth/leather.html>
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Tom A.

              • Marianne Perdomo
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 23, 2009
                  Wow! Neat data bout the hood and the cost comparison. I'm not the one asking
                  but that was very neat. Thanks for sharing, both of you! :)

                  I really need to put what I have founf together like that one day :)

                  Cheers!

                  Leonor / Marianne

                • balanttina
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 1 1:04 AM
                    hello!

                    I have been recently piling up descriptions of clothing in our
                    territory and have come up with this leather goods:

                    in 1544 inhabitants of Ljubljana had to pay 1/2 krajcar (a small value
                    coin) of toll for a pair of sole leather
                    (Josip Žontar, Drobec registra ljubljanskega nakladniškega urada iz
                    leta 1544, Kronika XVI/1, Ljubljana 1968, str. 32)

                    nothing earlier so far but that is not suprising given the small amount
                    of such descriptions anyway. hope you will find it ineteresting.

                    lp, celestina