Re: "Speaking foresoothly" at SCA events - another good reference book

  • Ruth
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2009
      I would look into greetings or other common phrases in your culture.
      No one may understand 13th century Welsh, but if you greet them with
      an uncommon word, they will likely understand it as a greeting, and
      may ask you about it, which gives you a chance to talk about your
      persona. Things like hello, goodbye, thank you etc. will go a long
      ways in setting the tone.
      Rose Atherton
      Adiantum
      An Tir

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have suggestions for giving a hint of authentic flavor
      to one's speech if one is NOT 15th/16th century English? Even if I
      were fluent in 13th century Welsh, no one (almost no one?) would
      understand me.

      > Andrea
      > kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14, 2009
        On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Brad Moore <mamluk@...> wrote:
        > Andrea,
        >
        > I think its interesting when one chooses to interject words or exclamations
        > from the language of one's persona into their speech. I have heard the use
        > of alternate titles which are culturally specific, or of phrases (Mon Dieu!,
        > etc.) which set you apart culturally, but don't prevent your ability to
        > communicate clearly. I know nothing of Welsh, but I'm sure there are sources
        > available that could lead you in the right direction.

        To add a modern example of how this can be done, take a look at
        Hercule Poirot. The Agatha Christie's detective throws in occasional
        French interjections, or even entire sentences, but generally speaks
        English. I try to do a similar thing with Japanese, and it is
        probably how my 16th century English turns out when I try it.

        -Ii/E.