Re: [Authentic_SCA] Picking out names and personas

  • bronwynmgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
      In a message dated 2/6/2009 4:53:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      madeleinedelacroix@... writes:

      <<This is strictly an opinion question. Is it more important that
      your name and persona are from the same time and country?? Someone I
      am trying to get into the SCA had gone to a few meetings, liked the
      atmosphere and wanted to round out a persona but wanted to go earlier
      with the garb and picked a name they liked from a list almost 100
      years after what they will be wearing. >>

      This is such a YMMV question...

      IF the person in question is interested in a) keeping the same name and or
      same persona forever and b) cares if the persona is a plausible one (the name,
      after all, is part of the persona, not a separate entity), then it is important
      that the two match.

      IF the persona is just coming int to try things out, they won't be the first
      persona to mix and match names, personas, and garb - but in that case I would
      recommending NOT registering a name until their interests have settled down a
      bit. There is no requirement to register a name, ever, so waiting a while
      isn't a problem.

      Was the person actually exposed to lists of names from the same period as the
      persona/garb period and didn't find one they liked, or did they just look
      through a bunch of different lists and say "Oh, I like that name, and those
      clothes are cool!"?

      Brangwayna Morgan
      Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
      Lancaster, PA
      net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

    • Medb
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2009
        Greetings,
        I would suggest to them to take their time on choosing a name- the last
        thing they want to do is be known by a name they no longer like.
        There's nothing wrong with wearing the 'wrong' clothing for one's name,
        as long as one has no problem with it themselves. In the summer, and
        especially at camping events, I often wear various outfits that don't
        really work with my personna, and I see many others doing the same. I
        also have kept my 11th century name even though I have pretty much
        moved entirely into the 16th century for most events. I would say that
        there are a couple of reasons I've never changed it, but I think it
        primarily comes down to the fact that I still like my name, and I
        really don't want to go through the process of changing it (or updating
        it to the 16th century) since I'm known by a specific name and spelling
        and I'd rather keep things simple as there are a couple of other people
        with variations on my name in my kingdom as well. :)

        Medb ingen Dungaile