Re: Picking out names and personas

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine Delacroix"
      <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:
      > Is it more important that
      > your name and persona are from the same time and country??

      http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html#2 contains the
      specific rules for name submissions.

      Some folks never develop a persona beyond picking a name.

      Some folks like to do and wear only what "matches" the name they pick.

      Some folks start with a name and persona and then get interested in
      doing other things, or decide they like the clothing from a different
      period and culture too.

      As Jehanne de Wodeford, I've shown up in anything from an 11th century
      gown to a 16th century Irish or Italian dress. I got sucked into
      Japanese culture by some friends and decided the differences were too
      much fun to explore without developing a persona to go with them,
      which is how Saionji no Hanae happened. SHE is from the Imperial court
      of the 13th century, but her clothes are so elaborate I tend to put
      her in 16th century Japanese dress for most events.

      In other words, there's no right or wrong answer: it's what works for
      you, or your friend.

      Jehanne de Wodeford/Saionji no Hanae
      West Kingdom
    • Britt
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
        You are absolutely correct. As a former herald of teh East Kingdom
        all names just need to match is the time and place that you say on
        your submission forms. you can be anything with any name you want and
        no one will yell at you. The heraldry police will not attack you and
        revoke your membership.
        Mary of he Stuwes (registered 15th century name)
        Lady Magdalena auf KDT (my 16trh century name that I curently play
        under the most)
        If she starts to play this game authentically I think she will find a
        name that suits her personna more. And even if you register one name
        it doesn't mean you are stuck with it. Changed my name and personna
        mid-game.
      • Diane Sawyer Dooley
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2009
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Britt" <nerdgirl@...> wrote:

          > You are absolutely correct. As a former herald of teh East Kingdom
          > all names just need to match is the time and place that you say on
          > your submission forms. you can be anything with any name you want and
          > no one will yell at you. The heraldry police will not attack you and
          > revoke your membership.
          > Mary of he Stuwes (registered 15th century name)
          > Lady Magdalena auf KDT (my 16trh century name that I curently play
          > under the most)
          > If she starts to play this game authentically I think she will find a
          > name that suits her personna more. And even if you register one name
          > it doesn't mean you are stuck with it. Changed my name and personna
          > mid-game.

          In fact, the new Admin Handbook specifies that an individual can
          register up to 6 names and pieces of armory. You must pick one
          primary name and one primary device, but you can have a name and
          device for almost every occasion.

          Tasha
        • bronwynmgn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
            In a message dated 2/6/2009 4:53:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            madeleinedelacroix@... writes:

            <<This is strictly an opinion question. Is it more important that
            your name and persona are from the same time and country?? Someone I
            am trying to get into the SCA had gone to a few meetings, liked the
            atmosphere and wanted to round out a persona but wanted to go earlier
            with the garb and picked a name they liked from a list almost 100
            years after what they will be wearing. >>

            This is such a YMMV question...

            IF the person in question is interested in a) keeping the same name and or
            same persona forever and b) cares if the persona is a plausible one (the name,
            after all, is part of the persona, not a separate entity), then it is important
            that the two match.

            IF the persona is just coming int to try things out, they won't be the first
            persona to mix and match names, personas, and garb - but in that case I would
            recommending NOT registering a name until their interests have settled down a
            bit. There is no requirement to register a name, ever, so waiting a while
            isn't a problem.

            Was the person actually exposed to lists of names from the same period as the
            persona/garb period and didn't find one they liked, or did they just look
            through a bunch of different lists and say "Oh, I like that name, and those
            clothes are cool!"?

            Brangwayna Morgan
            Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
            Lancaster, PA
            net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

          • Medb
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 10, 2009
              Greetings,
              I would suggest to them to take their time on choosing a name- the last
              thing they want to do is be known by a name they no longer like.
              There's nothing wrong with wearing the 'wrong' clothing for one's name,
              as long as one has no problem with it themselves. In the summer, and
              especially at camping events, I often wear various outfits that don't
              really work with my personna, and I see many others doing the same. I
              also have kept my 11th century name even though I have pretty much
              moved entirely into the 16th century for most events. I would say that
              there are a couple of reasons I've never changed it, but I think it
              primarily comes down to the fact that I still like my name, and I
              really don't want to go through the process of changing it (or updating
              it to the 16th century) since I'm known by a specific name and spelling
              and I'd rather keep things simple as there are a couple of other people
              with variations on my name in my kingdom as well. :)

              Medb ingen Dungaile