Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: shoe question

  • Grace D. Palmer
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
      MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to those members who receive their list mail in
      digest form, we request that you do not top post. Please trim portions of
      Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

      (REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED)

      This isn't my field, but a quick search turned up this painting:
      http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1468_claricedegasconne.jpg
      from Cynthia Virtue's site. The lady seems to be wearing long and
      pointed shoes, but not as long as the men around her. I've also got
      some "peasant dance" genre paintings where the toe is short and
      pointed.

      Grace D. Palmer
    • balanttina
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2009
        hello!

        women in general (and not of high status) generally wore the same kind
        of shoes as men. this could be low or ankle high. the patterns were, I
        presume, the same as for men's shoes.

        for low shoes you could check schilling chronicles. there are also a
        pilgrim in the painting of arnau gassiers (1454), bodleian ms douce 195
        fol. 3v, 66v (late 15C), domenico ghirlandaio's s fina (1472-3) and
        herod's banquet (1486-90).

        for ankle shoes see hausbuch der schloss wolfegg (after 1480), laufern
        pharish church (1495-1595) on imareal and MH's peasant woman (1475-80).

        take care!
        celestina