Re: [Authentic_SCA] shoe question

  • Grace D. Palmer
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
      Clarification question: Are you asking whether or not women of low
      status wore poulaines or whether or not women in general wore them?
      Grace D. Palmer

      Madeleine Delacroix wrote:
      > I was looking at info on poulaines for a 1460 outfit I was making,
      > then read in another article that women, not having the status didn't
      > wear them. Now for my question, what did they wear ?? I haven't been
      > able to find anything because in paintings, normally the shoes are
      > covered up, any help would be greatly appreciated.
      >

      > ------------------------------------

    • Madeleine Delacroix
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
        Women in general... the garb I am making is more of an attendant than
        the noble lady, according to the description of the painting.

        "Grace D. Palmer" <sisterbluebird@...> wrote:

        > Clarification question: Are you asking whether or not women of low
        > status wore poulaines or whether or not women in general wore them?
        > Grace D. Palmer
      • Grace D. Palmer
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
          MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to those members who receive their list mail in
          digest form, we request that you do not top post. Please trim portions of
          Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

          (REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED)

          This isn't my field, but a quick search turned up this painting:
          http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1468_claricedegasconne.jpg
          from Cynthia Virtue's site. The lady seems to be wearing long and
          pointed shoes, but not as long as the men around her. I've also got
          some "peasant dance" genre paintings where the toe is short and
          pointed.

          Grace D. Palmer
        • balanttina
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2009
            hello!

            women in general (and not of high status) generally wore the same kind
            of shoes as men. this could be low or ankle high. the patterns were, I
            presume, the same as for men's shoes.

            for low shoes you could check schilling chronicles. there are also a
            pilgrim in the painting of arnau gassiers (1454), bodleian ms douce 195
            fol. 3v, 66v (late 15C), domenico ghirlandaio's s fina (1472-3) and
            herod's banquet (1486-90).

            for ankle shoes see hausbuch der schloss wolfegg (after 1480), laufern
            pharish church (1495-1595) on imareal and MH's peasant woman (1475-80).

            take care!
            celestina