shoe question

  • Madeleine Delacroix
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
      I was looking at info on poulaines for a 1460 outfit I was making,
      then read in another article that women, not having the status didn't
      wear them. Now for my question, what did they wear ?? I haven't been
      able to find anything because in paintings, normally the shoes are
      covered up, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Grace D. Palmer
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
        Clarification question: Are you asking whether or not women of low
        status wore poulaines or whether or not women in general wore them?
        Grace D. Palmer

        Madeleine Delacroix wrote:
        > I was looking at info on poulaines for a 1460 outfit I was making,
        > then read in another article that women, not having the status didn't
        > wear them. Now for my question, what did they wear ?? I haven't been
        > able to find anything because in paintings, normally the shoes are
        > covered up, any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >

        > ------------------------------------

      • Madeleine Delacroix
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
          Women in general... the garb I am making is more of an attendant than
          the noble lady, according to the description of the painting.

          "Grace D. Palmer" <sisterbluebird@...> wrote:

          > Clarification question: Are you asking whether or not women of low
          > status wore poulaines or whether or not women in general wore them?
          > Grace D. Palmer
        • Grace D. Palmer
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
            MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to those members who receive their list mail in
            digest form, we request that you do not top post. Please trim portions of
            Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

            (REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED)

            This isn't my field, but a quick search turned up this painting:
            http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1468_claricedegasconne.jpg
            from Cynthia Virtue's site. The lady seems to be wearing long and
            pointed shoes, but not as long as the men around her. I've also got
            some "peasant dance" genre paintings where the toe is short and
            pointed.

            Grace D. Palmer
          • balanttina
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2009
              hello!

              women in general (and not of high status) generally wore the same kind
              of shoes as men. this could be low or ankle high. the patterns were, I
              presume, the same as for men's shoes.

              for low shoes you could check schilling chronicles. there are also a
              pilgrim in the painting of arnau gassiers (1454), bodleian ms douce 195
              fol. 3v, 66v (late 15C), domenico ghirlandaio's s fina (1472-3) and
              herod's banquet (1486-90).

              for ankle shoes see hausbuch der schloss wolfegg (after 1480), laufern
              pharish church (1495-1595) on imareal and MH's peasant woman (1475-80).

              take care!
              celestina