Missing info for "Historically-authentic SCA-event Sites in UK during 2009"

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
      Your Graces, your Excellencies, Lordings and Gentles of the
      Authentic SCA List,

       first I apologise if this is a breach of List Etiquette.

      However, it does seem to me that - if members of this List are primarily
      interested in enjoying a degree of authenticity at SCA events - then nothing
      will promote that quite as much as an event held in truly medieval
      surroundings.

      Also, this is the time of year when everyone begins to plan their
      holidays,  - if they haven't done so already.

      So, it seems to me that advance notice of such events, in time to arrange
      holidays to attend [ should that be possible ] might be appreciated by some
      members of this List - who might not be members of other online groups where
      the events' details will come to their attention by another source.

      Moderators, if this contravenes List Etiquette, I do apologise.

      So, with those points in mind, my Lords and Gentles all, I commend to your
      attention two Events at SCA-period historic locations in the UK
      during the coming year

      WINCHESTER PILGRIMAGE 2009.

       and

      RAGLAN FFAIR, 2009.

      Neither event has an ACTIVE webpage YET.

      When they DO, event details will be found both on the
      general events page for Insulae Draconis,

       And on the "events"
      pages of the 2 hosting Shires,

      West Dragonshire in the case of Winchester Pilgrimage,

      http://westdragonshire.org

      and Mynedd Gwynn in the case of Raglan Ffair.

      www.mynydd-gwyn.org

      The Official Tourist Website for the ancient "Almshouse & Hospital of
      St Cross" in Winchester [
      where the Pilgrimage will be based] can be found at

      http://www.stcrosshospital.co.uk

      which includes lovely pictures of the Event location.

      The Welsh Shire's website for LAST YEAR'S Raglan Ffair is still active, and can
      be found at

       http://www.raglanfair.org

      I commend this to your attention because the "Galleries" subfile has
      lots of lovely pictures and some video footage of previous Raglan Fairs.

      In service to the medieval ream

      [ which is why I subcribe to and enjoy THIS List]

      Lord Matthew Baker,

       Hospitaller for West Dragonshire.

    • skippy_rex
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
        MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to those members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you do not top post. Please trim portions of previous posts that do not require repetition. Thank you.
        Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

        (REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED)

        I have visit this area of England regularly, in fact I was married and
        my son christened "across the road' at Compton, and can safely say
        that St. Cross is a wonderful place, and the walk along the river from
        St Cross to the Cathedral is one of my favorite things to do. I
        always felt that I had slipped back through time. If I am fortunate
        enough to be in the area this summer I'll make every effort to attend
        the Winchester event.
        William de Mont d'Or
      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
          --- On Mon, 2/2/09, skippy_rex <mondor.winchester@...> wrote:
          SNIPPED FOR BREVITY
           If I am fortunate enough to be in the area this summer I'll make every effort to attend
          the Winchester event.

          REPLY
          My Lord Mont d'Or,
          Since you have expressed an interest,  the tentative event-dates are -
          Winchester Pilgrimage - May 27th to 29th
          Raglan Ffair - August 20th to 24th [a full-moon weekend]

          In service to the Medieval Dream,
          Matthew Baker

        • Kim Mitchell
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12, 2009
            Are there any proposed dates set yet for those two events? I would be very interested in learning more.

            :)

            Lady Jane Devereux
            West Dragoningshire
            Crown Principality of Insulae Draconis
            Kingdom of Drachenwald

          • julian wilson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 12, 2009
              My Lady Jane,
              the proposed dates are
              afternoon, May 29th-to mid-day on 31st for Winchester Pilgrimage.
              Some p[ictures of previous winchester Pilgrimage  events can be found at
              http://www.betahelix.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=76
              and at
              http://pics.livejournal.com/bend_gules/gallery/0000gcd0

              And 20th to 24th of August for Raglan Ffair 2009, [a full-moon weekend].
              The Website for the 2008 Event is still active, and if you search through it to the Gallery sub-page, you'll find that the two image galleries of - betahelix - and - bendgules - are still active.
              viz: 255 Raglan Castle & Ffair pictures to be seen at
               http://pics.livejournal.com/bend_gules/gallery/0000rp75?page=1
              and for betahelix
               http://www.betahelix.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=66
              Ian Walden has taken lovely pictures of both padt Raglan ffairs and past Pilgrimages, and if you e-mail him, I have no doubt he'll send you the URL's so that you can see HIS photos as well - which will give you a good idea of the variations in garb that has been worn at both events previously.

              YiS,
              Matthew Baker,
               Hospitaller unto West Dragonshire.