stick around/list issues

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2001
      So, we all agree that this is a high volume list.  Thus, we put the disclaimer into the sign on so anyone who joins is warned.

      We all have agreed a number of times to change the header when something goes off-original-topic.  Let's all be more vigilant about this, please.

      We all aren't big on 'me-too' mail.  Well, here is another one and we seem to be good at it.  Part of this, I think, is because we all look for multiple sources and back up on our stuff, including verbal (email) back up.

      We seem to agree that this community we have formed is a good thing and we are benefiting from it.  The suggestion to form another 'community based' list is a good one, but I don't think it will fly with this group.  The banter comes out of serious questions  many times and to separate them would not work well, IMO.  I think the main thing is to change the header.

      I really don't like losing people, especially those such as Drea and Cynthia.  However, I think we all can understand the need for less than 900 emails in the box on any given morning.

      Rather than leaving due to overload, please do consider the following options:
               1.Web read - yes, it can be more tedious, but your inbox won't be full and you can scan through to a topic that is of interest to you or which you can be of assistance for.
               2.Digest form - you still will receive (on a busy day) 5-10 digests, but again, it will be much easier for you to scan and leap to topics in your area/arena.
               3.Over the shoulder/friendly forward - I get everything, Bogdan gets the digest.  If something occurs that I think he will enjoy, I email him the specific email and he usually responds.  He then can read/go through the digest at his leisure and not have missed the moment, so to speak. Not everyone has a friend with which they can do this, but for those of you who do, it works well.

      I hope these suggestions are of help.

      Despina

      --Dorothy Nevell