Preparing an Elizabethan Picnic

  • Richard of Essex
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 20, 2009
      I will be autocratting my first event this June and was hoping to get
      some input from this list. We are going to go with a late period,
      Elizabethan Faire as the theme. Additionally, instead of a full-on
      elizabethan feast, we thought we would be different and go with an
      Elizabethan picnic. Has anyone had any experience either organizing
      or helping with an Elizabethan-themed event or attending one? Any
      ideas, suggestions, and assistance you can offer is most appreciated
      and greatly welcomed.
      --
      Richard of Essex
      Lance of Saint George
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 20, 2009
        I know in later periods it was very popular to pack a picnic lunch and go
        to a hill to watch a battle. Very fashionable. I did this at a
        reenactment of the Battle of Tangiers. This is just an idea to get the
        fighters involved.
        Lady Magdalena auf KDT
        Shire of Eisental, East Kingdom
        Who would love to see his event I think it is a wonderful idea.

        On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:58:06 -0500, "Richard of Essex"
        <RichardofEssex@...> wrote:
        > I will be autocratting my first event this June and was hoping to get
        > some input from this list. We are going to go with a late period,
        > Elizabethan Faire as the theme. Additionally, instead of a full-on
        > elizabethan feast, we thought we would be different and go with an
        > Elizabethan picnic.
      • Richard of Essex
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 20, 2009
          Thank you for your input Lady Magdalena. We were planning on going
          around Easter time and buying up a bunch of little baskets to use as
          the feast tokens. We would then tie a colored ribbon to them and you
          would present it to the feastocrat when the time comes to get your
          "picnic". The ribbon would be removed by the feastocrat to show
          you've claimed your food. We were thinking of going with some sort of
          meat and bread item (veggie or meat pies were recommended to cover
          both items), a fruit and/or vegetable dish, and some sort of pastry.
          It would all be prepared prior to the event and served cold. Then the
          person would find a nice spot outside to sit and have their "picnic".
          :) I had originally thought of having the picnic after all the
          tournaments are done (since the fighters might not want to eat while
          fighting), but I will talk with our feastocrat about it. Also the
          event will be held here in the Middle Kingdom, in the Shire of
          Tirnewydd (columbus Ohio) so you are of course more than welcome to
          travel here to attend. :)

          Richard of Essex

          --
          Richard of Essex
          Lance of Saint George
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 20, 2009
            If you look up Lady Fettiplace's Receipt Book (which is a delight!),
            there are some descriptions of food meant to be eaten outdoors, for
            example, during a summer fruit harvest. I don't have my copy handy,
            but I remember one dish, "Fraises", which are basically thick, eggy
            pancakes rolled around a filling of applesauce. I've made them from
            Lady F's book, and they are both easy to make and delicious.
            References to fraises go back at least to Chaucer's time, IIRC.

            Fresh berries in season are always welcome at a picnic and could be
            used to fill the fraises, too. Or preserves (jams, jellies, and
            marmalades), which are period for Elizabethan/Jacobean cooking, as the
            large amounts of sugar required first became available in about the
            1540s. By Elizabeth's time, preserving was a highly esteemed art
            practiced by gentlewomen, as documented in Lady F's book, which is
            also full of wonderful preserve recipes.

            There's a lot to be said for simple, fresh food prepared well,
            especially at a picnic. Sounds like it'll be a lovely event!

            Yours in service,
            Adelicia di Rienzi
            Barony of Lyondemere, Kingdom of Caid
          • Elizabeth Walpole
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 21, 2009
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 22, 2009
                Has this been scheduled? Is there a website you could direct me to?

                Sounds like fun, I'd like to see if I could work it into my travels. And bring others with me.

                Cassandra
                Nordskogen
                Northshield

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 23, 2009
                  We are planning to have it on June 6th. Our shire votes on it
                  Wednesday, then I can submit it to the kingdom calendar and Pale.
                  We'll also get a webpage up with details.

                  --
                  Richard of Essex
                  Lance of Saint George