Re: [Authentic_SCA] Reproducing Garb from Portraits

  • Rebecca Klingbeil
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 13, 2009
      <<--- On Mon, 1/12/09, Heather Rose Jones <heather.jones@...> wrote:>>

      <snip>

      <<It depends on what one considers "many". It's true that many of the surviving garments from the SCA's period are either ecclesiastical in
      nature or associated with the highest social ranks. But there are
      also a lot more surviving garments than most people are aware of. I'm
      way behind on adding items to my database, but a search of the current
      contents turns up 350 garments matching the characteristics "secular"
      and "date between 500-1600". And even ecclesiastical and royal
      garments can provide useful information about cut and construction,
      given sufficient caution.>>

      Ah, alas, I have displayed my ignorance quite well again. I had no idea there were that many extant garments. I am not much of seamstress, myself. I find myself interested in the art, not just for the garments but for other reasons. I AM trying to understand the relationship between clothing in art and actual garments - one of the reasons I have begun gathering and sorting period artwork is to help people research garb. It is not the ONLY reason - there are many other things depicted in paintings - books, furniture, armor.

      Another reason is to understand the actual subjects of the art, and why they were painted as they were. There is a whole visual language to the art of the Middle Ages, some of which is still with us, but much which is in danger of being 'lost' in our strongly secular age. I admit this is more of a personal reason than investigating artwork that depicts [to the limited degree already discussed on this list] what people wore and the items they used in period in order to help others with their research.

      YIS,
      Leofwynn Marchaunt