Re: Competitions was Period Feast?

  • Lijsbet vande Vischereye, OL
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 8, 2009
      That is what documentation is for. When judging someone in a field
      that the judge knows, they have an advantage. They can maybe read the
      summary and proceed from there. But if they don't, part of the skills
      as a judge are that the judge should be able to read the
      documentation, not just for information, but critically to determine
      the value of the information. If your doc is good, that's where they
      can tell if you really know about the thing you made.

      If you're able to stand about and provide verbal information, all the
      better. We do that a lot in the Outlands, but I understand that it's
      not common elsewhere.

      Lijsbet

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, christopher chastain
      <ckchastain@...> wrote:

      <snip>
      >Unless there is a Laurel that knows the subject or the tools that I
      use how can a Laurel of Caligraphy fairly judge what I do?
    • Labhaoise O'Beachain
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 9, 2009
        Never having judged in this venue, I have limited knowledge of the
        particular process, BUT, I have judged things, AND I can read
        documentation with an eye to quality.... does it seem complete? is it
        in depth enough? how closely does it coordinate with what I am seeing?
        explinations of material? sources? crossreference? quality and
        complexity in comparison to others of it's type(if available)...

        Well you get the idea...
        Labhaoise