Re: [Authentic_SCA] On Feasting (was: on white and sweet potatoes)

  • Marianne Perdomo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
      2009/1/6 Jeff gedney <gedney@...>

      > But that presumes that the court and populace is entirely and only English.

      I was just about to say that...

      Anyway... my opinion is that European regional cuisine didn't vary that
      much. I have seen very similar recipes in Nola, Le Menagier and Early
      Northern Cookbook. While it's difficult to have everyone have their bit in
      such a multi-period, multi-national recreation, I think there's a "core"
      that should form the basis of menus, and then occasionally you can have fun
      with something odd. The recipes mentioned in the herbal for potato/sweet
      potato sounded more like a medieval dish than normal boiled or fried
      potatoes people are used to having. So if my persona had to try them, she'd
      just probably assume it's some other kind of root vegetable - no big deal!
      I think the problem is the one mentioned before - when it's clearly modern.
      I'd avoid the roasted potatoes mentioned in the herball for that very
      reason, except perhaps at a very special occassion.

      Obviously my personal opinion ;)

      Leonor / Marianne

    • Labhaoise O'Beachain
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
        This reminds me of my time in HI. We attended a tourist luau, where
        they served traditional foods in little pleated paper cups, usually
        used for relish.... plenty of hot dogs and the like were available.

        Then, through connections we attended a traditional luau... an entire
        day, with traditional entertainments provide by.... yes, each other,
        in the morning the hole was dug, the fire build, and the foods layered
        in....... That night, glistening young men danced the whole pig
        through the feast of all to oooh and aah over. Great steaming bowls of
        food were placed in circles of waiting diners, much that was served
        was unfamiliar to unrecognizable, although it was mostly readily
        available in the markets... as we drove home, my husband leaned over
        and asked....

        "what did they do with the pig?"

        Labhaoise
      • Hawkyns
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
          I'm crossposting this to a couple of lists, my apologies if yiu receive it more than once.

          Does anyone have any evidence or documentation of the reflector oven being used in period?  The earliest I have been able to date it is to a Flemish painting of about 1660.

          Thank you.

          Hawkyns,
          East