Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Years covered by SCA

  • asackville@juno.com
    Message 1 of 80 , Dec 27, 2008
      You know, I've done Elizabethan circa 1570's for a long time now (over a decade) and sometimes I still get the whole "Why would you want to do something SOOOOO Late Period?" thing. Or: "That's SOOOOO Late Period!". And it's not always meant kindly, either.

      Does anyone who has either an early persona or a late one get the same kind of thing?

      Fionnuala

      Save $15 on Flowers and Gifts from FTD!
      Shop now at http://offers.juno.com/TGL1141/?u=http://www.ftd.com/17007
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 80 of 80 , Jan 5, 2009
        I've been thinking for awhile about why I object to New World foods at
        feasts. It isn't the fact that they aren't period. Its more the fact that
        it seems that when things like potatoes, tomatoes, chocolate and turkey were
        served, they would have been a novelty. These foods would have been new and
        exotic and serving them at a feast would have made a statement. Serving
        them as a ordinary part of a feast, with no effort to get people to think
        about how 16th century people would have seen these foods has the effect of
        pulling us into the modern world, where a dish of mashed potatoes is
        commonplace.

        -Katherine