Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Years covered by SCA

  • Greg Lindahl
    Message 1 of 80 , Dec 27, 2008
      On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 07:24:38PM -0000, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:

      > My
      > husband would really prefer 1625 garb, but I wouldn't want to make up
      > several outfits to find if we moved that it wasn't ok.

      If it's England in 1625 that he's looking at, you might consider
      looking in Germany or Spain right at 1600 -- England was running a bit
      behind the times.

      -- Gregory

      p.s. I always thought it was funny how people didn't consider "Middle
      Ages" a (fuzzy) starting date -- it's mentioned all over Corpora.
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 80 of 80 , Jan 5, 2009
        I've been thinking for awhile about why I object to New World foods at
        feasts. It isn't the fact that they aren't period. Its more the fact that
        it seems that when things like potatoes, tomatoes, chocolate and turkey were
        served, they would have been a novelty. These foods would have been new and
        exotic and serving them at a feast would have made a statement. Serving
        them as a ordinary part of a feast, with no effort to get people to think
        about how 16th century people would have seen these foods has the effect of
        pulling us into the modern world, where a dish of mashed potatoes is
        commonplace.

        -Katherine