Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Years covered by SCA

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 80 , Dec 27, 2008
      >Thank you for clarifying this, I have read the documents and that was
      >my understanding. In your opinion then, is it the different kingdoms
      >that make the decision to allow post 1600 garb and activities? My
      >husband would really prefer 1625 garb, but I wouldn't want to make up
      >several outfits to find if we moved that it wasn't ok.

      On the larger issue -- I've found it helpful to remember a piece of advice I once heard from Duke Cariadoc. That is: if you look at the SCA as a giant organization of people who are exactly like you and share all your ideas, interests and values, you will be very disappointed, because they don't. But if you look at the SCA as a giant organization where you can *find* people who are like you and share your interests and values, you will be much happier -- because you *will* find them, it may just take some looking.

      The corollary to this is that worrying too much about whether other people will think what you're doing is "OK" is kind of counterproductive. You will, eventually, find people who like what you like -- sometimes within the SCA, sometimes not (I know there are more English Civil War groups out there now than there were twenty years ago, for instance).

      1625 is also not so wildly out of period that it would be likely to attract a lot of negative attention, in my humble opinion. If it were something like U.S. Revolutionary War I'd be a lot more worried ;)

      And on the whole, my experience is that, as long as you are really interested in history and trying to do historical stuff, the SCA is pretty welcoming.

      Christian de Holacombe

      0 Chris Laning
      | <claning@...>
      + Davis, California
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 80 of 80 , Jan 5, 2009
        I've been thinking for awhile about why I object to New World foods at
        feasts. It isn't the fact that they aren't period. Its more the fact that
        it seems that when things like potatoes, tomatoes, chocolate and turkey were
        served, they would have been a novelty. These foods would have been new and
        exotic and serving them at a feast would have made a statement. Serving
        them as a ordinary part of a feast, with no effort to get people to think
        about how 16th century people would have seen these foods has the effect of
        pulling us into the modern world, where a dish of mashed potatoes is
        commonplace.

        -Katherine