Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Years covered by SCA

  • Cathal
    Message 1 of 80 , Dec 27, 2008
      > In short, there is no "start date" and the end date is supposed to
      > be
      > 1601.

      That is indeed the case and just to clarify the absence of a
      'beginning point' further: within the past 3 years,
      the BoD asked the membership IF they should even consider establishing
      such a thing. The response was
      almost entirely negative and so the beginning date remained as it was:
      open.

      Cathal mac Edan na faeled,
      Kingdom of Meridies.
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 80 of 80 , Jan 5, 2009
        I've been thinking for awhile about why I object to New World foods at
        feasts. It isn't the fact that they aren't period. Its more the fact that
        it seems that when things like potatoes, tomatoes, chocolate and turkey were
        served, they would have been a novelty. These foods would have been new and
        exotic and serving them at a feast would have made a statement. Serving
        them as a ordinary part of a feast, with no effort to get people to think
        about how 16th century people would have seen these foods has the effect of
        pulling us into the modern world, where a dish of mashed potatoes is
        commonplace.

        -Katherine