Re: Years covered by SCA

  • Madeleine Delacroix
    Message 1 of 80 , Dec 27, 2008
      Thank you for clarifying this, I have read the documents and that was
      my understanding. In your opinion then, is it the different kingdoms
      that make the decision to allow post 1600 garb and activities? My
      husband would really prefer 1625 garb, but I wouldn't want to make up
      several outfits to find if we moved that it wasn't ok.

      Yours in Service,
      Madeleine
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 80 of 80 , Jan 5, 2009
        I've been thinking for awhile about why I object to New World foods at
        feasts. It isn't the fact that they aren't period. Its more the fact that
        it seems that when things like potatoes, tomatoes, chocolate and turkey were
        served, they would have been a novelty. These foods would have been new and
        exotic and serving them at a feast would have made a statement. Serving
        them as a ordinary part of a feast, with no effort to get people to think
        about how 16th century people would have seen these foods has the effect of
        pulling us into the modern world, where a dish of mashed potatoes is
        commonplace.

        -Katherine