Years covered by SCA

  • Madeleine Delacroix
    Message 1 of 80 , Dec 27, 2008
      Greetings all,
      A question has come up and since I can't get a actual answer from
      those around me, I am going to ask here. I was under the impression
      that the play dates were 600-1600, and yet I see Romans and Cavaliers,
      which are pre and post those years. I don't want to tell a newcomer
      the wrong thing, so what is it??? Or is it what they want to be within
      reason?

      Yours in Service,
      Madeleine
    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 80 of 80 , Jan 5, 2009
        I've been thinking for awhile about why I object to New World foods at
        feasts. It isn't the fact that they aren't period. Its more the fact that
        it seems that when things like potatoes, tomatoes, chocolate and turkey were
        served, they would have been a novelty. These foods would have been new and
        exotic and serving them at a feast would have made a statement. Serving
        them as a ordinary part of a feast, with no effort to get people to think
        about how 16th century people would have seen these foods has the effect of
        pulling us into the modern world, where a dish of mashed potatoes is
        commonplace.

        -Katherine