Gulf Wars - Authentic SCA topics of interest

  • Zhara um Nikko
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2008
      Greetings from Al Mahala

      As we whizz at maddening speed towards the booklet printing deadline,
      here are some interesting developments for Gulf Wars Al Mahala

      - Tuesday Afternoon - A Solar on Shisha Embroideries and Dye Methods
      in Indian Textiles. This painstakingly researched session will
      feature both hands on opportunities to make samples, and a
      presentation by Mistress Edwina Dirks Sterne on Subcontinent dye
      methods in period.

      - Wednesday Afternoon - the Instructor's Showcase debuts. This is a
      time for those with advanced levels of performance, research, and
      attention to detail. Quiet music, period instruments, solos,
      documentable dance are all appropriate here.

      - Thursday Night - the annual Al Mahala Expo. Come one, come all.
      Performers of all types welcome - those requiring recorded music are
      asked to veil their boombox and stick to period-friendly music
      selections. All variety of performance is welcome, but please leave
      your amps at home. Our interest in promoting a historically and
      culturally authentic environment remains a priority.

      _ Friday Afternoon (later) - Sake tasting. As part of our new East
      Asian track of classes, history of Sake class and tasting by Lady
      Naome. Free to observe,$10 to sample a grand variety of these ancient,
      well documented, honorable, beverages.

      And, speaking of classes, do not forget that Al Mahala maintains an
      entire weeks worth of intensely researched classes on Classical Arabic
      Language, Heian Period Literature, and Textiles of the Levant, to name
      just a few.

      I have been communicating individually with instructors - if you and I
      haven't traded e-mails recently - it's high time that we do!

      zhara8 at ya hoo dot com

      Humbly and In Service,
      Zhara um Nikko
      Apprentice to Mistress Edwina Dirks Sterne
      Gulf Wars Al Mahala Staff