Authentic Winter Medieval Event in Virginia

  • Tom Apple
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2008
      Greetings All,

      I post this inquiry in the hope of gauging interest in an authentic
      medieval event that is in the works. It is not definite at this moment.

      The location would be Henricus Citie, in Chesterfield County, Va. It
      is located just off I-295, South of Richmond. The event will likely
      happen in late Jan or early Feb 2009. Fairly soon, actually.

      Henricus Citie is a re-creation of a portion of the 1611 colony
      established by Sir Thomas Dale. It is largely enclosed with a
      palisaded fence and has several thatched, timber framed, wattle and
      daub houses including a large building representing the hospital that
      can serve as a great hall.

      The period represented for the event would be strictly mid to late
      15th century. In keeping with the authenticity standards of the site,
      participants would have to clothing and gear appropriate to the
      depicted time period. That means correct fabrics, correct styles, and
      appropriate impressions. There is space to set up tents, and the
      hospital/great hall is climate controlled plus has a huge fireplace at
      each end. There are hotels nearby or people can sleep in the hall.
      Some of the houses may be available, we'll have to see as those will
      be needed for specific depictions and roles. There would be a feast
      Saturday night in the hall, keeping in period format.

      If we are able to pull this off, it has the potential to be an annual
      event at a place that really looks medieval.

      Henricus is a relative small sitet compared to Jamestown Settlement
      and really could use the visitation that time of year. That is one
      reason for doing it in the Winter. The average daytime temps are mid
      40's but being in Virginia, it is not unusual for it to get up in the
      60's or 70's. There would be an alternate date in case of really bad
      weather. The nice thing is that there are several places to get out of
      the cold and next to a warm fire.

      The event Yahoo site will be opened to interested parties once we get
      a green light from Henricus.

      If interested, please email me, and I'll put you on the invite list to
      the discussion group. Participants may be juried to ensure we comply
      with the site's standards.

      I look forward to your input.

      Best Regards,

      Tom Apple