keeping neckline shape

  • Marianne Perdomo
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2008
      Hello!

      I quickly made a kind of tabard based on this picture:
      http://www.flg.es/ficha.asp?ID=110

      The problem I have with it is that it's heavy-ish wool and I cut the
      neckline a bit low like that one... but the long sleeves cause the neckline
      to open up and flatten itself into more like a shallow boat-shaped neckline
      (not sure that's an English term). And that manages to expose my shoulders
      in a manner that isn't quite right for the period and look I want. I've
      thought about adding another layer around the neckline, with perhaps some
      linen hidden inner layer or something... Would anything like that be able to
      hold the shape?
      If at all possible I'd like to stay with period materials and techniques.
      I'm supposed to be ca 1480 Spanish, for reference. I could add some
      embroidery or discrete trim but I'd like to keep it simple if possible.

      Any ideas appreciated!

      Leonor / Marianne

    • Marianne Perdomo
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2008
        2008/11/7 Marianne Perdomo <marianne@...>

        > Hello!
        >
        > I quickly made a kind of tabard based on this picture:
        > http://www.flg.es/ficha.asp?ID=110

        It's the woman to the far left, in the wine-coloured overdress, with the
        distaff. Silly me, I forgot to say...

        Leonor

      • Diane Sawyer Dooley
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2008
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marianne Perdomo"
          <marianne@...> wrote:

          > 2008/11/7 Marianne Perdomo <marianne@...>
          >
          > > Hello!
          > >
          > > I quickly made a kind of tabard based on this picture:
          > > http://www.flg.es/ficha.asp?ID=110
          >

          > It's the woman to the far left, in the wine-coloured overdress, with the
          > distaff. Silly me, I forgot to say...
          >

          > Leonor

          How do you have the neckline finished now?
        • Diane Sawyer Dooley
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2008
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Sawyer Dooley"
            <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:

            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marianne Perdomo"
            > <marianne@> wrote:
            > >
            > > 2008/11/7 Marianne Perdomo <marianne@>
            > >
            > > > Hello!
            > > >
            > > > I quickly made a kind of tabard based on this picture:
            > > > http://www.flg.es/ficha.asp?ID=110
            > >

            > > It's the woman to the far left, in the wine-coloured overdress,
            with the
            > > distaff. Silly me, I forgot to say...
            > >

            > > Leonor
            > >

            > How do you have the neckline finished now?

            I apologize for not signing that. I know better.

            Tasha
          • Marianne Perdomo
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 8, 2008
              Hello!

              2008/11/8 Diane Sawyer Dooley

              > How do you have the neckline finished now?

              At the moment it has no finishing whatsoever. It was done as a last day
              project before last event and the wool is slightly fulled so it holds the
              edge by itself. So basically it's just cut into shape.

              Thanks!

              Leonor

            • Diane Sawyer Dooley
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2008
                <marianne@...> wrote:

                > Hello!
                >
                > 2008/11/8 Diane Sawyer Dooley
                >

                > > How do you have the neckline finished now?
                >

                > At the moment it has no finishing whatsoever. It was done as a last day
                > project before last event and the wool is slightly fulled so it
                holds the
                > edge by itself. So basically it's just cut into shape.
                >
                > Thanks!
                >

                > Leonor

                I would actually line the top of it, at this point, and attach the
                lining to the top of the sleeve. If you'd faced the neckline before
                cutting it, this might not have happened, but that ship has pretty
                much sailed. Make sure that the grain of the fabric is square to the
                front and back, so there's no bias stretching along the shoulders, and
                I bet it'll be fine.
              • Diane Sawyer Dooley
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 8, 2008
                  <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marianne Perdomo"
                  > <marianne@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello!
                  > >
                  > > 2008/11/8 Diane Sawyer Dooley
                  > >

                  > > > How do you have the neckline finished now?
                  > >

                  > > At the moment it has no finishing whatsoever. It was done as a
                  last day
                  > > project before last event and the wool is slightly fulled so it
                  > holds the
                  > > edge by itself. So basically it's just cut into shape.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks!
                  > >

                  > > Leonor
                  >
                  > I would actually line the top of it, at this point, and attach the
                  > lining to the top of the sleeve. If you'd faced the neckline before
                  > cutting it, this might not have happened, but that ship has pretty
                  > much sailed. Make sure that the grain of the fabric is square to the
                  > front and back, so there's no bias stretching along the shoulders, and
                  > I bet it'll be fine.

                  And yet again I've forgotten to sign.

                  I'm going to bed now.

                  tasha