hammers for dulcimers?

  • Kareina Talvi Tytär
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
      Greetings,

      A friend of mine <http://medieval.instruments.googlepages.com/> is
      building me a Medieval style hammer dulcimer which should be complete
      soon. In anticipation of learning to play, I found a modern hammer
      dulcimer e-mail list to join, and they've been talking about the
      differences between American and German hammers. Apparently there are
      a variety of styles available, and in some places they are held
      between the thumb and fore finger, and in others are held between the
      fore and middle fingers. Until this conversation, I hadn't really
      thought much about the hammers and how I will hold them when I begin
      the process of learning to play. Have any of you perchance
      researched the history? Do you happen to have illustrations from
      Medieval documents which show what sorts of hammers were used and how
      they were held?

      thanks,

      --Kareina, who will be looking on her own, but why duplicate work if
      someone here already knows the answer?

      http://kareina.livejournal.com/