Re: gloucester

  • Maxamillan Wolfram von Schleuter
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
      MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our members who receive their list mail in digest form, we ask that you not top post. Please trim text from the previous post that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

      MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "oisswafford" <oisswafford@...>
      wrote:
      > I am currently working on persona development (always) but I've run
      > into a wall. My persona is based in 1530-1550 Glocestershire
      > (probably Gloucester itself.) I'm having problems finding any
      history
      > of this part of England.

      How interesting, I lived there for nearly 20 years. Look at the City
      website and under the duke of Gloucester too!

      Maks
    • Kareina Talvi Tytär
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
        Greetings,

        A friend of mine <http://medieval.instruments.googlepages.com/> is
        building me a Medieval style hammer dulcimer which should be complete
        soon. In anticipation of learning to play, I found a modern hammer
        dulcimer e-mail list to join, and they've been talking about the
        differences between American and German hammers. Apparently there are
        a variety of styles available, and in some places they are held
        between the thumb and fore finger, and in others are held between the
        fore and middle fingers. Until this conversation, I hadn't really
        thought much about the hammers and how I will hold them when I begin
        the process of learning to play. Have any of you perchance
        researched the history? Do you happen to have illustrations from
        Medieval documents which show what sorts of hammers were used and how
        they were held?

        thanks,

        --Kareina, who will be looking on her own, but why duplicate work if
        someone here already knows the answer?

        http://kareina.livejournal.com/