Re: Period Finishing for a leather costrel

  • Diane Sawyer Dooley
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Apple" <tom.apple@...> wrote:

      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Sawyer Dooley"
      > <tasha_medvedeva@> wrote:
      >
      > > I tried making vinegaroon (iron oxide + vinegar) using Brillo pads,
      > > and my leather turned grey.
      >
      > You mean the kind with soap in them? It may be some sort of alloy to
      > inhibit rust.
      >
      > Get some of the real fine steel wool (no soap) from the hardware
      > store. It worked pretty well for me. It may take more than one
      > application. Whatever you do, don't spill it on oak flooring. The
      > stuff really reacts well with the oak tannins.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Tom

      No, I very specifically bought the kind without soap. I'm new at
      this, not stupid. The soap would have changed the pH of the vinegar,
      anyway.

      Tasha
    • Tom Apple
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
        <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:

        > No, I very specifically bought the kind without soap. I'm new at
        > this, not stupid. The soap would have changed the pH of the vinegar,
        > anyway.

        Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that!

        I figured you may have washed the soap out. When you said "Brillo"
        that's what I pictured, the kind with soap.

        In a pinch I've used a Brillo or SOS pad after washing the soap out to
        scour some armor to avoid a trip to the store.

        I'm not trying to disparage anyone.

        Best Regards,

        Tom