Re: Period Finishing for a leather costrel

  • Tom Apple
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Sawyer Dooley"
      <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:

      > I tried making vinegaroon (iron oxide + vinegar) using Brillo pads,
      > and my leather turned grey.

      You mean the kind with soap in them? It may be some sort of alloy to
      inhibit rust.

      Get some of the real fine steel wool (no soap) from the hardware
      store. It worked pretty well for me. It may take more than one
      application. Whatever you do, don't spill it on oak flooring. The
      stuff really reacts well with the oak tannins.

      Cheers,

      Tom
    • Diane Sawyer Dooley
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Apple" <tom.apple@...> wrote:

        > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Sawyer Dooley"
        > <tasha_medvedeva@> wrote:
        >
        > > I tried making vinegaroon (iron oxide + vinegar) using Brillo pads,
        > > and my leather turned grey.
        >
        > You mean the kind with soap in them? It may be some sort of alloy to
        > inhibit rust.
        >
        > Get some of the real fine steel wool (no soap) from the hardware
        > store. It worked pretty well for me. It may take more than one
        > application. Whatever you do, don't spill it on oak flooring. The
        > stuff really reacts well with the oak tannins.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Tom

        No, I very specifically bought the kind without soap. I'm new at
        this, not stupid. The soap would have changed the pH of the vinegar,
        anyway.

        Tasha
      • Tom Apple
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
          <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:

          > No, I very specifically bought the kind without soap. I'm new at
          > this, not stupid. The soap would have changed the pH of the vinegar,
          > anyway.

          Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that!

          I figured you may have washed the soap out. When you said "Brillo"
          that's what I pictured, the kind with soap.

          In a pinch I've used a Brillo or SOS pad after washing the soap out to
          scour some armor to avoid a trip to the store.

          I'm not trying to disparage anyone.

          Best Regards,

          Tom