Re: Period Finishing for a leather costrel

  • Diane Sawyer Dooley
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Apple" <tom.apple@...> wrote:

      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Michael and Nicole Anderburg"
      > <cotihardie@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was wondering if anyone had a reference (or just ideas) for the
      > > finishing of a leather bottle, costrel, etc.

      {snip}

      > Brown could be achieved by a variety of vegetable/plant dyes, black
      > would have been achieved with logwood based dyes or iron/vinegar dye.
      >
      > The logwood based dyes oxidize over time, especially when exposed to
      > sunlight eventually becoming brown in color. The iron/vinegar dye will
      > only work on oak tanned leather and not chrome tanned leather. You can
      > make the iron/vinegar by placing about half a pad of fine steel wool,
      > 00 or 000, in a jar of vinegar and let it set for a couple weeks, the
      > steel wool will dissolve and settle out, but when you apply the
      > vinegar to the leather, the leather will turn black. Waxing and
      > buffing the exterior will help seal the finish, but is not used to
      > make the vessel watertight.

      {snip}

      > I hope this helps.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Tom A.

      I tried making vinegaroon (iron oxide + vinegar) using Brillo pads,
      and my leather turned grey. It's a nice color, but not what I was
      after. My leatherworking teacher says it's because of the aluminum
      content in the Brillo pads. I let the Brillo pads steep in the
      vinegar for ~2 weeks. At the end, there was nothing left of the pads
      but sediment. I may try putting more Brillo in there to see if I can
      make the solution stronger, but I'm also going to be looking for
      other, purer sources for iron oxide and make another bottle of
      solution. White vinegar is about $2 a gallon, so it's the most
      cost-effective method of coloring leather black, hands-down.

      I have also read on leatherworker.net that logwood+vinegar=brown, as
      do hickory nuts:
      http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5607&hl=hickory At
      some point I'd like to try black walnut hulls.

      Tasha
      who just got new books on medieval leatherworking
      and will be in her bunk.
    • valkerie1000
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
        MODERATOR NOTE: MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list email in digest form, we ask that you not top post your replies and snip any portion of the previous message that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

        MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Sawyer Dooley"
          <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:

          > I tried making vinegaroon (iron oxide + vinegar) using Brillo pads,
          > and my leather turned grey.

          You mean the kind with soap in them? It may be some sort of alloy to
          inhibit rust.

          Get some of the real fine steel wool (no soap) from the hardware
          store. It worked pretty well for me. It may take more than one
          application. Whatever you do, don't spill it on oak flooring. The
          stuff really reacts well with the oak tannins.

          Cheers,

          Tom
        • Diane Sawyer Dooley
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Apple" <tom.apple@...> wrote:

            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Sawyer Dooley"
            > <tasha_medvedeva@> wrote:
            >
            > > I tried making vinegaroon (iron oxide + vinegar) using Brillo pads,
            > > and my leather turned grey.
            >
            > You mean the kind with soap in them? It may be some sort of alloy to
            > inhibit rust.
            >
            > Get some of the real fine steel wool (no soap) from the hardware
            > store. It worked pretty well for me. It may take more than one
            > application. Whatever you do, don't spill it on oak flooring. The
            > stuff really reacts well with the oak tannins.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Tom

            No, I very specifically bought the kind without soap. I'm new at
            this, not stupid. The soap would have changed the pH of the vinegar,
            anyway.

            Tasha
          • Tom Apple
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
              <tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:

              > No, I very specifically bought the kind without soap. I'm new at
              > this, not stupid. The soap would have changed the pH of the vinegar,
              > anyway.

              Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that!

              I figured you may have washed the soap out. When you said "Brillo"
              that's what I pictured, the kind with soap.

              In a pinch I've used a Brillo or SOS pad after washing the soap out to
              scour some armor to avoid a trip to the store.

              I'm not trying to disparage anyone.

              Best Regards,

              Tom