Re: [Authentic_SCA] Introduction: Katherine Robillard

  • N B
    Message 1 of 19 , May 6, 2001
      --- Kirrily Robert <skud@...> wrote:
      > In lists.sca.authentic-sca, you wrote:
      > >
      > >Just a note, I am not sure about English history, but in
      > >Spanish history there are at least two notable female
      > >conquistadoras of the 16 and 17th century, one who lived
      > >and fought in male garb(Catalina De Erauso), and I
      > believe
      > >the other fought in it, but otherwise dressed as a
      > >lady(Maria De Ortega)...So in case you wanna go back to
      > >that, you dont have to force yourself to be a man in
      > man's
      > >clothes. :)
      >
      > One of my personal authenticity hangups is that just
      > because there was
      > one instance of something in SCA period doesn't mean that
      > it's
      > appropriate all the time. Sure, as a novelty, but not as
      > a regular
      > thing. (See also the current "banana skin found in
      > midden" thread on
      > sca-cooks)

      I wouldnt consider them novelties. On th eflip side of
      this argument , just because it wasnt heard of often didnt
      mean it didnt happen often. In Catalina's case it was a
      hard life living as a man. She had to get dispensation from
      the Pope to wear men's clothing. In Maria's case, she was
      amoung quite a few women who fought with men in the new
      world. Women "warriors" are known throughout history. As a
      Female fighter in SCA I strongly defend female fighters
      through history :)

      I am not saying this to discount you taking on a Male
      persona.

      Just my thoughts

      Catalina

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/