New Janet Arnold Book and Underwear as Outerwear

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
      Totally oop for us in Regia but possibly of interest to y'all, this
      just came over the Aussie Living History list:

      "This modern fashion trend [of underwear as outerwear], which seems
      to us to reflect our more easy-going attitudes to our bodies, is
      strikingly similar to the layering and glimpsing of undergarments of
      English 16th and early 17th Century costume.

      "This week sees the posthumous publication of the fourth volume in
      the great costume historian Janet Arnold's meticulously detailed
      series, Patterns of Fashion.

      "Having documented every item of outer clothing for the period,
      Arnold has turned her attention to Tudor and Stuart underwear. The
      book is sumptuously illustrated with photographs of surviving items
      of the clothing our forebears wore next to the skin, including
      gorgeous detail of lavish embroidery, lace-work and stitching. And it
      shows clearly the ways in which men and women of substance also
      enjoyed letting their expensive underwear show.

      "Indeed, the most striking difference between underwear-flaunting
      then and now seems to have been that in Tudor times, it was not only
      women, but men too who adopted fashion designs which allowed them to
      reveal their undergarments."

      The full story--with illos of Elizabethan fashion--is at
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7689554.stm

      Cheers, Folo
      www.micelfolcland.org
    • Terri Morgan
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
        It is a great book and has totally changed my idea of how to put together
        shirts and chemises. In fact, now I *have* to make a little shirt, just to
        play with the seams!

        Hrothny, whose apprentice has an advance copy and lets her read it (wheeee!)
      • Marianne Perdomo
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
          2008/10/26 Terri Morgan wrote:

          > It is a great book and has totally changed my idea of how to put together
          > shirts and chemises. In fact, now I *have* to make a little shirt, just to
          > play with the seams!

          Ooh! Sounds intriguing! What's the earliest chemise in it, do you remember?

          Thanks!

          Leonor, being tempted...

        • kittencat3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
            Tip for those ordering through Amazon:

            Order this book through Amazon.co.uk. They're having a special right now on
            paperbacks and have priced Patterns of Fashion 4 at only 15 pounds plus
            shipping. My total was 21.98 pounds, which comes out to $35 US, as opposed to
            $50 on the US Amazon site.

            Sarah Davies

          • kittencat3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
              The dates on the book are 1560-1620, I believe.

              Also, since Arnold helped to restore them, this will likely contain the
              details on the Medici grave clothes, including Eleanora of Toledo's pair of
              bodies. Should be quite fascinating.

              Sarah Davies

            • Folo Watkins
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 26, 2008
                >Order this book through Amazon.co.uk. They're having a special right now on
                >paperbacks

                I had checked on the Amazon uk site before sending the first email so
                that I might include it (the person in Oz had mentioned this), but
                the page would no come up. was this a typical Amazon fubar, or was it for real?

                Cheers, Folo