Re: [Authentic_SCA] Norse-Danish-Swedish artists?

  • Rebecca Klingbeil
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2008
      --- On Thu, 10/23/08, Folo Watkins <folo@...> wrote:

      From: Folo Watkins <folo@...>
      Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Norse-Danish-Swedish artists?
      To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 9:23 AM

      >Does anyone know of a good way to search for artists in
      >Norway/Denmark/ Sweden in the 15-1600s?

      I have three suggestions that will require a bit of work. The first is to go to the Art Renewal Center (http://www.artrenewal.org) and check out their online museum. While they have Swedish and Norwegian artists, but all are too late for your period. They do have a number of Dutch artists - you can search the Museum by 'country' and it will give you a list of artists with dates. Look under 'Netherlands'.

      You can also go to the Web Gallery of Art (http://www.wga.hu) and use the search function at the bottom. Put 'Swedish' or 'Dutch' or 'Danish' or the country name in the 'Text' box of the search and the time period (choose 1501-1550 or 1551-1600) and press search. Don't know what you will get, but hopefully it will be something useful.

      The third is to go to the Commons of Wikipedia. Yes, I know, Wiki gets laughed (or railed against) a lot, but the Commons - which is where all the media is stored - can be quite useful. Go to the main page(http://commons.wikipedia.org), and click 'art' and browse or do a search. You might turn up something useful.

      I wish I had more 'efficient' suggestions. Hopefully you will find something useful. One of the reasons I began my latest project - the Tidbits Visual Research Library - is that period images are very very scattered on the web. I thought that by gathering them together and sorting them, I could make people's research easier by doing the first (and often fustrating) step. Alas, I am not to the 16th c. yet, having only just now finished women's clothing for 1390-1460; or else I might have specific images to which to direct you.

      YIS,
      Leofwynn Marchaunt