Re: [Authentic_SCA] 1Book of Music: 15th century French/German music

  • Cynthia J Ley
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 21, 2008
      try googling:

      medieval Renaissance chansonniers online

      I can't recall the URLs right at the moment, but I know there are some in
      library and museum collections and are online.

      What a glorious gift! We want pictures! :-D

      Arlys
      lower An Tir

      On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:47:56 -0000 "Jewel" <avani_pari2@...>
      writes:
      > Greetings to all!
      >
      > For a birthday present for my husband for next year, I will be
      > creating a book of SCA and period songs.
      >
      > I'm starting this waaay early (his birthday is in September),
      > because
      > I plan to do each page by hand, and add illumination for each page
      > as
      > well. Then I'll be binding the pages in a leather cover in a period
      > fashin. I am hoping to creat a gorgeous piece that is documentable
      > and
      > beautiful that he can use and love (I'll also be printing up the
      > music
      > on regular paper in a folder for those days that are muddy or just
      > plain too yucky to risk the pretty book) and will look great.
      >
      > I am doing this to promote his gorgeous voice and tug him gently
      > away
      > from the filk and parody songs he tends toward (sometimes having
      > noting to do with the SCA other than being a parody of another song
      > that is Scadian filk).
      >
      > Firstly, I am not sure if there are any period music books for me to
      > start looking at to get ideas of what exactly I want to do. Does
      > anyone know of any examples on-line?
      >
      > Secondly, I am looking for the music of France and German, of the
      > 15th
      > century mostly, but other well-known songs from other times would be
      > welcome as well. I will need both the music score and the lyrics for
      > each song.
      >
      > Vivat the Dream,
      > Lady Julienne fille Gaspard, mka Jewel Shuping

      Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your business.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3m7tDy3FmLNRRuGWkMnwkxNBqPO8VfgESu58dwpZz41cd24Z/
    • balanttina
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2008
        hello!

        That is one big project! Best of luck with it! I know of no such
        manuscripts from the top of my head, but these two pages might be of help:

        http://www.chmtl.indiana.edu/tml/start.html
        http://brassy.club.fr/PartMed/Partmed.html

        lp, celestina
      • Jewel
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 23, 2008
          > First of all, this sounds like an amazing project! And an ambitious
          > one. I wish you the best of luck.

          Thanks :) I hope it comes out as wonderful as I'd like it to.

          As for music reading, yes, I have an extensive knowledge of writing
          and reading music, as does my sister (who taught me most of what I
          know). I was in band for all of middle school and most of high school,
          and my sister taught me how to read music at the age of 6 (basic
          notes, of course) and to play the recorder at that same age! She is a
          music education major, so if I don't know something, I can ask her.

          > <snip> I might recommend sacrificing some of the authenticity by
          > writing the music in a modern standard form, with medieval stylings.

          I totally agree. My husband only just knows how to read modern scores,
          and has not taken any time to learn medieval scoring (I know some), so
          I'll have to do it modern style if I expect him to use the book at all :D
        • Jewel
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 23, 2008
            Thank you for all the links, guys! That certainly gives me a place to
            start :)

            And of course there will be pictures when it's done. What, you think
            I'm cruel?

            Vivat the Dream,
            Lady Julienne fille Gaspard, mka Jewel Shuping
            Scribe of Atlantia