Re: 1Book of Music: 15th century French/German music

  • Ruth
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 21, 2008
      MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list email in digest form, we ask that you not top post your replies and snip any portion of the previous message that does not require repetition. Please also be sure to sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

      Message order reversed:
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jewel" <avani_pari2@...> wrote:

      > Firstly, I am not sure if there are any period music books for me to
      > start looking at to get ideas of what exactly I want to do. Does
      > anyone know of any examples on-line?

      First of all, this sounds like an amazing project! And an ambitious
      one. I wish you the best of luck.

      One thing to keep in mind is that for much of the SCA period there was
      not a standardized way of writing down music. From your post it is
      unclear what level of knowledge you have about music and reading
      music, so I apologize if this is information you already have. The
      shape of notes and location of notes, as well as size and coloring
      effected them, and it wasn't always the same from place to place.
      Music was originally written down by religious men and women as a way
      to document their liturgical music and teach it to others, so they
      weren't necessarily making it so just anyone could sit down and read
      it. Ballads, chansons, and more popular songs were often not written
      down at all, and the bards of the time would not necessarily have know
      how to write down music if they had wanted to. For ease of the modern
      performing, I might recommend sacrificing some of the authenticity by
      writing the music in a modern standard form, with medieval stylings.
      Look at Gregorian chants etc. for how the music looked, and try and
      utilize the aesthetics into the more standardized musical language.

      This page has some later period links to scans.
      http://www.ibiblio.org/expo/vatican.exhibit/exhibit/e-music/Music.html

      http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/ssrg/medieval/mss/gallery.html has
      some earlier manuscripts.

      And this is an image that I particularly liked.
      http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper599/stills/o1u726b1.jpg
    • Cynthia J Ley
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 21, 2008
        try googling:

        medieval Renaissance chansonniers online

        I can't recall the URLs right at the moment, but I know there are some in
        library and museum collections and are online.

        What a glorious gift! We want pictures! :-D

        Arlys
        lower An Tir

        On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:47:56 -0000 "Jewel" <avani_pari2@...>
        writes:
        > Greetings to all!
        >
        > For a birthday present for my husband for next year, I will be
        > creating a book of SCA and period songs.
        >
        > I'm starting this waaay early (his birthday is in September),
        > because
        > I plan to do each page by hand, and add illumination for each page
        > as
        > well. Then I'll be binding the pages in a leather cover in a period
        > fashin. I am hoping to creat a gorgeous piece that is documentable
        > and
        > beautiful that he can use and love (I'll also be printing up the
        > music
        > on regular paper in a folder for those days that are muddy or just
        > plain too yucky to risk the pretty book) and will look great.
        >
        > I am doing this to promote his gorgeous voice and tug him gently
        > away
        > from the filk and parody songs he tends toward (sometimes having
        > noting to do with the SCA other than being a parody of another song
        > that is Scadian filk).
        >
        > Firstly, I am not sure if there are any period music books for me to
        > start looking at to get ideas of what exactly I want to do. Does
        > anyone know of any examples on-line?
        >
        > Secondly, I am looking for the music of France and German, of the
        > 15th
        > century mostly, but other well-known songs from other times would be
        > welcome as well. I will need both the music score and the lyrics for
        > each song.
        >
        > Vivat the Dream,
        > Lady Julienne fille Gaspard, mka Jewel Shuping

        Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your business.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3m7tDy3FmLNRRuGWkMnwkxNBqPO8VfgESu58dwpZz41cd24Z/
      • balanttina
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2008
          hello!

          That is one big project! Best of luck with it! I know of no such
          manuscripts from the top of my head, but these two pages might be of help:

          http://www.chmtl.indiana.edu/tml/start.html
          http://brassy.club.fr/PartMed/Partmed.html

          lp, celestina
        • Jewel
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 23, 2008
            > First of all, this sounds like an amazing project! And an ambitious
            > one. I wish you the best of luck.

            Thanks :) I hope it comes out as wonderful as I'd like it to.

            As for music reading, yes, I have an extensive knowledge of writing
            and reading music, as does my sister (who taught me most of what I
            know). I was in band for all of middle school and most of high school,
            and my sister taught me how to read music at the age of 6 (basic
            notes, of course) and to play the recorder at that same age! She is a
            music education major, so if I don't know something, I can ask her.

            > <snip> I might recommend sacrificing some of the authenticity by
            > writing the music in a modern standard form, with medieval stylings.

            I totally agree. My husband only just knows how to read modern scores,
            and has not taken any time to learn medieval scoring (I know some), so
            I'll have to do it modern style if I expect him to use the book at all :D
          • Jewel
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2008
              Thank you for all the links, guys! That certainly gives me a place to
              start :)

              And of course there will be pictures when it's done. What, you think
              I'm cruel?

              Vivat the Dream,
              Lady Julienne fille Gaspard, mka Jewel Shuping
              Scribe of Atlantia