1Book of Music: 15th century French/German music

  • Jewel
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 21, 2008
      Greetings to all!

      For a birthday present for my husband for next year, I will be
      creating a book of SCA and period songs.

      I'm starting this waaay early (his birthday is in September), because
      I plan to do each page by hand, and add illumination for each page as
      well. Then I'll be binding the pages in a leather cover in a period
      fashin. I am hoping to creat a gorgeous piece that is documentable and
      beautiful that he can use and love (I'll also be printing up the music
      on regular paper in a folder for those days that are muddy or just
      plain too yucky to risk the pretty book) and will look great.

      I am doing this to promote his gorgeous voice and tug him gently away
      from the filk and parody songs he tends toward (sometimes having
      noting to do with the SCA other than being a parody of another song
      that is Scadian filk).

      Firstly, I am not sure if there are any period music books for me to
      start looking at to get ideas of what exactly I want to do. Does
      anyone know of any examples on-line?

      Secondly, I am looking for the music of France and German, of the 15th
      century mostly, but other well-known songs from other times would be
      welcome as well. I will need both the music score and the lyrics for
      each song.

      Vivat the Dream,
      Lady Julienne fille Gaspard, mka Jewel Shuping
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 21, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jewel" <avani_pari2@...> wrote:
        > Firstly, I am not sure if there are any period music books for me to
        > start looking at to get ideas of what exactly I want to do. Does
        > anyone know of any examples on-line?

        http://www.diamm.ac.uk/index.html is an online library of medieval
        music manuscripts. Get a log-in, it's worth it.

        http://www.artlevine.com/15_16th_century.aspx has some midi files and
        PDF notation available for download that fit your specified time period.

        Must dash - I have a class this evening. Will post more as I think of
        them.

        Jehanne de Wodeford
        West Kingdom
      • Ruth
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 21, 2008
          MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list email in digest form, we ask that you not top post your replies and snip any portion of the previous message that does not require repetition. Please also be sure to sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

          Message order reversed:
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Jewel" <avani_pari2@...> wrote:

          > Firstly, I am not sure if there are any period music books for me to
          > start looking at to get ideas of what exactly I want to do. Does
          > anyone know of any examples on-line?

          First of all, this sounds like an amazing project! And an ambitious
          one. I wish you the best of luck.

          One thing to keep in mind is that for much of the SCA period there was
          not a standardized way of writing down music. From your post it is
          unclear what level of knowledge you have about music and reading
          music, so I apologize if this is information you already have. The
          shape of notes and location of notes, as well as size and coloring
          effected them, and it wasn't always the same from place to place.
          Music was originally written down by religious men and women as a way
          to document their liturgical music and teach it to others, so they
          weren't necessarily making it so just anyone could sit down and read
          it. Ballads, chansons, and more popular songs were often not written
          down at all, and the bards of the time would not necessarily have know
          how to write down music if they had wanted to. For ease of the modern
          performing, I might recommend sacrificing some of the authenticity by
          writing the music in a modern standard form, with medieval stylings.
          Look at Gregorian chants etc. for how the music looked, and try and
          utilize the aesthetics into the more standardized musical language.

          This page has some later period links to scans.
          http://www.ibiblio.org/expo/vatican.exhibit/exhibit/e-music/Music.html

          http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/ssrg/medieval/mss/gallery.html has
          some earlier manuscripts.

          And this is an image that I particularly liked.
          http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper599/stills/o1u726b1.jpg
        • Cynthia J Ley
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 21, 2008
            try googling:

            medieval Renaissance chansonniers online

            I can't recall the URLs right at the moment, but I know there are some in
            library and museum collections and are online.

            What a glorious gift! We want pictures! :-D

            Arlys
            lower An Tir

            On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:47:56 -0000 "Jewel" <avani_pari2@...>
            writes:
            > Greetings to all!
            >
            > For a birthday present for my husband for next year, I will be
            > creating a book of SCA and period songs.
            >
            > I'm starting this waaay early (his birthday is in September),
            > because
            > I plan to do each page by hand, and add illumination for each page
            > as
            > well. Then I'll be binding the pages in a leather cover in a period
            > fashin. I am hoping to creat a gorgeous piece that is documentable
            > and
            > beautiful that he can use and love (I'll also be printing up the
            > music
            > on regular paper in a folder for those days that are muddy or just
            > plain too yucky to risk the pretty book) and will look great.
            >
            > I am doing this to promote his gorgeous voice and tug him gently
            > away
            > from the filk and parody songs he tends toward (sometimes having
            > noting to do with the SCA other than being a parody of another song
            > that is Scadian filk).
            >
            > Firstly, I am not sure if there are any period music books for me to
            > start looking at to get ideas of what exactly I want to do. Does
            > anyone know of any examples on-line?
            >
            > Secondly, I am looking for the music of France and German, of the
            > 15th
            > century mostly, but other well-known songs from other times would be
            > welcome as well. I will need both the music score and the lyrics for
            > each song.
            >
            > Vivat the Dream,
            > Lady Julienne fille Gaspard, mka Jewel Shuping

            Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your business.
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3m7tDy3FmLNRRuGWkMnwkxNBqPO8VfgESu58dwpZz41cd24Z/
          • balanttina
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 22, 2008
              hello!

              That is one big project! Best of luck with it! I know of no such
              manuscripts from the top of my head, but these two pages might be of help:

              http://www.chmtl.indiana.edu/tml/start.html
              http://brassy.club.fr/PartMed/Partmed.html

              lp, celestina
            • Jewel
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 23, 2008
                > First of all, this sounds like an amazing project! And an ambitious
                > one. I wish you the best of luck.

                Thanks :) I hope it comes out as wonderful as I'd like it to.

                As for music reading, yes, I have an extensive knowledge of writing
                and reading music, as does my sister (who taught me most of what I
                know). I was in band for all of middle school and most of high school,
                and my sister taught me how to read music at the age of 6 (basic
                notes, of course) and to play the recorder at that same age! She is a
                music education major, so if I don't know something, I can ask her.

                > <snip> I might recommend sacrificing some of the authenticity by
                > writing the music in a modern standard form, with medieval stylings.

                I totally agree. My husband only just knows how to read modern scores,
                and has not taken any time to learn medieval scoring (I know some), so
                I'll have to do it modern style if I expect him to use the book at all :D
              • Jewel
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 23, 2008
                  Thank you for all the links, guys! That certainly gives me a place to
                  start :)

                  And of course there will be pictures when it's done. What, you think
                  I'm cruel?

                  Vivat the Dream,
                  Lady Julienne fille Gaspard, mka Jewel Shuping
                  Scribe of Atlantia