Oak Galls Re: To dye dog-collars and couples

  • Jewel
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2008
      "Galls are irregular plant growths which are stimulated by the
      reaction between plant hormones and powerful growth regulating
      chemicals produced by some insects or mites. Galls may occur on
      leaves, bark, flowers, buds, acorns, or roots. Leaf and twig galls are
      most noticeable."

      Quoted from this site, which has more information about oak galls:
      <http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef408.asp>

      The most common galls are created by the common gall wasp. Galls can
      be found on many oak, oak-apple, and pistacio trees. If you have one
      in your area, keep an eye on it, and you may be able to get the galls
      off it. Ask people in your area, also; they may have an oak tree or
      other tree with galls.

      Gardening sites say to pick oak galls off the tree no later than
      August to protect the tree. Does anyone know the best time to pick the
      galls for paint? I'm going to do this, too, for oak gall ink for my
      husband's calligraphy, if I can find the oak galls in my area.

      Picking your own oak galls is the cheapest way to get oak gall powder,
      but you'll have to crush them yourself...not sure the preparation of
      the galls for crushing, but you'll need a mortar and pestle to crush
      the oak galls and lots of time. You could also purchase whole galls
      instead of picking them. Gall powder will be much more
      money-consuming, because crushing galls is time-consuming

      Hope that helps a little...sorry I can't provide more information.

      Vivat the Dream,
      Lady Julienne fille Gaspard, mka Jewel Shuping