Re: [Authentic_SCA] Music

  • Greg Lindahl
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2008
      On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:26:40PM -0000, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:

      > My son is interested at playing at our upcoming Yule feast but
      > trying to find music is killer, does anyone know of a good source of
      > Medieval and Renaissance sheet music for a violin(I know, post period,
      > but that is what he plays.)

      Hello! The violin is pretty close to period: it achieved its current
      shape in the late 1500s. The internals and bow and chin rest were
      changed a bit after, but, it's reasonably close.

      You can find lots of sheet music at:

      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Music/

      -- Gregory
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 13, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine Delacroix"
        <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > My son is interested at playing at our upcoming Yule feast but
        > trying to find music is killer, does anyone know of a good source of
        > Medieval and Renaissance sheet music for a violin(I know, post period,
        > but that is what he plays.)

        If you are looking specifically for Christmas themed music, may I
        recommend the New Oxford Book of Christmas Carols. Runs about $30 new
        in paperback, but SO worth it - a significant chunk of the songs in it
        date to SCA period and there are copious notes with each piece as well.

        Jehanne de Wodeford
        West Kingdom