Music

  • Madeleine Delacroix
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2008
      Greetings,
      My son is interested at playing at our upcoming Yule feast but
      trying to find music is killer, does anyone know of a good source of
      Medieval and Renaissance sheet music for a violin(I know, post period,
      but that is what he plays.)

      Thank you,
      madeleine
    • Greg Lindahl
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2008
        On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:26:40PM -0000, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:

        > My son is interested at playing at our upcoming Yule feast but
        > trying to find music is killer, does anyone know of a good source of
        > Medieval and Renaissance sheet music for a violin(I know, post period,
        > but that is what he plays.)

        Hello! The violin is pretty close to period: it achieved its current
        shape in the late 1500s. The internals and bow and chin rest were
        changed a bit after, but, it's reasonably close.

        You can find lots of sheet music at:

        http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Music/

        -- Gregory
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 13, 2008
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine Delacroix"
          <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          > My son is interested at playing at our upcoming Yule feast but
          > trying to find music is killer, does anyone know of a good source of
          > Medieval and Renaissance sheet music for a violin(I know, post period,
          > but that is what he plays.)

          If you are looking specifically for Christmas themed music, may I
          recommend the New Oxford Book of Christmas Carols. Runs about $30 new
          in paperback, but SO worth it - a significant chunk of the songs in it
          date to SCA period and there are copious notes with each piece as well.

          Jehanne de Wodeford
          West Kingdom